Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Incoming e-mail doesn't come through

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

Experience: Computer illiterate compa
09-Apr-2009, 10:08 PM #1
Incoming e-mail doesn't come through
I have Microsoft Outlook. This has been going on for a week or more, but doesn't happen all the time. When I click send/receive, the bar indicates email is coming through, but stops and nothing actually comes through. If there is one email, the bar goes all the way across, then stops, and nothing happens. If there are several emails, the bar stops somewhere in the middle and that's as far as it goes. Nothing comes through. I have to restart the computer, and then when I go into my email program, everything is fine. One strange thing... when I go to restart, before shutting down, a box appears on my desktop - ccSvcHst.exe - end program, with a prompted to "end now" or "cancel." When I hit "end now," I notice the Microsoft Outlook icon on the desktop blinks a bit before the computer shuts down. Once it restarts, my email program works well for a while. But this happens about twice a day. I don't know what is going on. I'd really appreciate someone's help.
Member with 2,241 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Apr-2009, 11:26 PM #2
What version of Outlook?
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

09-Apr-2009, 11:42 PM #3
I'm not sure if this is the information you need. My computer is HP Pavilion, Microsoft Windows XP, Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3. Our Internet connection is high speed broad band. If this info isn't what you need, could you tell me how to find it. Thanks so much for any info you can give me.
Member with 2,241 posts.

09-Apr-2009, 11:48 PM #4
Open up outlook, go to help, about, and the version info should be there.
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

10-Apr-2009, 12:02 AM #5
I hope this is what you need: Microsoft Outlook 2000 (9.0.0.2711)
Member with 2,241 posts.

10-Apr-2009, 12:20 AM #6
Ok. Here is what I suspect. Outlook 2000 and prior has a .pst size limit of 2GB. Even though you have an inbox, outbox, subfolders etc it stores them all in one .pst file.

Open up my computer and go to your C drive. Make sure under the folder options it is set to view hidden folders. Navigate to documents and settings > your username > local settings > application data > microsoft > outlook and then check the size of the outlook.pst file. If it is anywhere near 1,900,000 then you have reached the maximum file size and Outlook starts to exhibit behavior that you have described.

The only thing you can do is to delete your deleted items and export any uneeded mail into a seperate .pst file and then delete it out of your outlook profile to keep the size down.
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

10-Apr-2009, 12:28 AM #7
Thank you so much. I will do what you suggest, but since it is late here in Pennsylvania, I will wait until tomorrow and see if, after I follow your instructions, the problem is rectified. Again, many many thanks for your help! I will get back to you as soon as possible and let you know the results.
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

10-Apr-2009, 11:06 AM #8
This morning, using your instructions, I have navigated to documents and settings; user name (my user name did not show up, but I checked through "all users," and "default user," etc, to get to local settings, then application data, then microsoft. However, outlook is not listed anywhere. I checked several times, assuming I had perhaps missed it, but outlook is not on any list. Do you know what may be wrong here? By the way, occasionally, while in outlook, I am asked if I wish to archive, but I haven't done so. I don't know where archived material ends up, and I am concerned that something might get filed in a place where I won't be able to find things. Do you think this may be part of my problem? If so, could you give me a short explanation of how this works. Thank you so very much for any help you can give me.
Member with 2,241 posts.

10-Apr-2009, 05:50 PM #9
Under documents and settings it might be just listed as owner instead of your username.

Archiving will take your old emails and expor them to a seperate .pst file thereby freeing up space on your main .pst file. The archived emails then show up under a folder called archived email.

Last edited by srhoades; 10-Apr-2009 at 05:57 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

10-Apr-2009, 06:58 PM #10
I have looked a number of times under documents and settings, and the only subcategories are Administrator, All users, Default user and HP Administrator, and searching under each one of these, through each subcategory until I get through to Microsoft, outlook is not listed anywhere. I then did a separate search of Microsoft for outlook, and the computer found nothing. Last year, my entire outlook program disappeared suddenly while I was working, and I had to totally recreate my email program. As of this writing, I no longer have an explanation of what I did to fix things so that I could start working with my email again, but I did find a way. I do recall filling in some information as to user name, password, etc. Of course, I had to recreate my personal folders and find the lost email addresses to get started. When it happened, I was informed that an error had occurred, and a report said something about a crash of my Office program. I think I might have been able to do a repair, but at the time, I really didn't know what to do. Now, if I click onto the initial Personal Folders (the program that crashed) which is still just above my more recent list of Personal Folders, the message appears: Unable to display folder. Errors have been detected in the file C:\Documents and settings\HP Administrator\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst. Quit all mail enabled applications and then use the inbox repair tool. But it was last year that this happened, and all has gone well until just recently when email began to not come through a couple of times a day. I apologize for inundating you with all of this, but maybe some of this info may help.
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

10-Apr-2009, 07:17 PM #11
Something else concerning the above. A while after my Outlook crash, I had tried to do a repair because I had lost a lot of email that I wanted to keep, and I recall that I was instructed to insert the Microsoft Office disk that had been used to install the program. I don't have that disk. The Office program had been installed in Texas by the company who sold me the new computer more than a couple of years ago. The computer I bought did not orginally come with Microsoft Word installed, and it was a program I needed to do my work. Consequently, I don't have the disk.
Member with 2,241 posts.

10-Apr-2009, 07:41 PM #12
C:\Documents and settings\HP Administrator\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst

That is the location then of your pst file. The other thing you can do is open up search, tell it to search for *.pst and make sure it looks in hidden files and folders.
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

10-Apr-2009, 08:30 PM #13
I opened up a search for Outlook *.pst, including hidden files and folders. Two items appeared. The first was listed under Type: Outlook Bar Shortcuts, modified 12/19/08, size 32 KB. The next was Type: Office Data File, modified 4/4/09, size 0 KB.
Member with 2,241 posts.

10-Apr-2009, 09:12 PM #14
That is weird. Do you have another partition or drive that is a letter other than C that you save things to?
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

10-Apr-2009, 09:30 PM #15
I regularly save emails by going to File, Save as, and I move them individually to folders in My Documents. I know of no other place where I would choose to move or copy anything to.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!