Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Mozilla Firefox won't open after installing it.

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 110 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Jul-2009, 09:29 AM #1
Mozilla Firefox won't open after installing it.
I have installed Mozilla Firefox on a friend's computer. She is on XP and it appears to download and install, but when I try to run it the program won't open.

She has Norton 360 Anti virus all singing and dancing program. Could this be blocking Firefox?

Any clues?

dmrandagk
LauraMJ has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Administrator with 12,428 posts.

20-Jul-2009, 11:40 AM #2
Make sure Firefox is on the "allowed" list for Norton and any firewall you may have on there, too.
Member with 395 posts.

20-Jul-2009, 01:25 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrandagk View Post
I have installed Mozilla Firefox on a friend's computer. She is on XP and it appears to download and install, but when I try to run it the program won't open.

She has Norton 360 Anti virus all singing and dancing program. Could this be blocking Firefox?

Any clues?

dmrandagk
Hi dmrandagk,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

If Norton 360 has the latest updates applied, when you installed Firefox it should have automatically been added to the Norton Firewall "Program Control" list. If it has not been added, make sure that you have the latest updates applied to Norton 360 by manually running LiveUpdate. You can do this by opening Norton 360, mouse-over the "PC Security" bubble and choose "Check for Updates." If any updates are installed, restart your computer and then launch Firefox and see if you can access the web. If you still have problems, please carefully follow the instructions in the document below.

Allow Internet-enabled applications access through the Norton Firewall

Let me know if this resolves the issue.

Thanks,
Mike
Computer Specs
Member with 110 posts.

22-Jul-2009, 12:10 PM #4
from dmrandagk
I have not been able to look at my neighbour's computer since you sent me some advice, but I will try it when possible and let you know if she can then use Firefox. Thanks very much for your time.
Computer Specs
Member with 110 posts.

26-Jul-2009, 11:59 AM #5
Firefox won't open after installation
I have now been to see my friend whose computer won't open Firefox. We got in touch with Norton support and they took over the computer remotely and disabled Norton and we still could not start Firefox, so they concluded that it could not be a Norton problem.

However, she used to be able to follow links to URLs sent in emails and then could not, so we eventually f9und that IE was not ticked as the default browser, and by setting IE as the default browser, links are now able to be followed, but we still cannot start Firefox. We are stumped.

dmrandagk
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,030 posts.

26-Jul-2009, 01:30 PM #6
A simple thing to try is to open the folder at C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox and locate the firefox.exe file. Change its name to firefox1.exe and double click it.
If the program starts, then it's likely a firewall or malware that's the problem.

If it doesn't start, change the name back to firefox.exe and do a complete uninstall.
Remove Firefox using Add/Remove programs.
Be sure to manually remove the following folders if they exist after uninstalling:

C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Mozilla
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla

Go to the Mozilla site HERE and download the latest version.
Boot the computer into Safe Mode and try installing it.
Reboot into normal mode and see if it will run.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!