Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

IE8 and Yahoo Finance Portfolio

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Jul-2009, 10:30 PM #1
IE8 and Yahoo Finance Portfolio
I have a weird problem and I wonder if anybody seen it before. I keep my stocks portfolios in Yahoo Finance. Normally I add and remove stocks in the portfolio as I buy and sell them. Today when I added a stock, instead of creating a new line in the correct alphabetical location for the new stocks, it added a line at the end and shifted all the amounts from one line into the next following the new one. When I tried to add another stock the problem repeated and now all the amounts are two lines off. The portfolio is all wrong and useless.

Since all portfolio information is kept on Yahoo web site, I tried to recreate the problem on my laptop but it was working ok. That's was true until I tried to trace my steps today and the only thing I did differently was to hit F11 in IE8 to get a full-page display. After I hit F11 again to reset the page size the problem started. I tried it on the laptop and now the laptop is also screwed up. I cleared the cache, reset the IE8 setting to the default, rebooted the computer and the problem is still there. The only thing I have not tried yet is to reload IE8.

weird, is not it? Any ideas?

Update:

I tried a different browser. A Netscape browser. The same problem happens there. It may be a "Yahoo" software bug. Please let me know if anybody experience similar problems.

Last edited by ybn1; 29-Jul-2009 at 12:59 AM.. Reason: problem update
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

30-Jul-2009, 11:03 PM #2
Troubles with Yahoo Finance Portfolios
I can empathize with you...my portfolio is also all wonky and the ticker symbols are not aligned with my added information and...yes, my portfolio is also useless to me now. This just happened today.

Yesterday, the site was sluggish and anytime I made any edits to my portfolio, it would take a very long time. I too cleared cookies, caches, and recent logins, quit & restarted my browser...all to no avail. So, tonight I tried to access the Yahoo Finance Help site and after repeated times, was unable to send the message to Yahoo. It just got wiped out and the blank submission form bounced back, over and over again, as if for the first time. Arrggghhhh! VERY Frustrating.

There is no way to advise Yahoo of the problem, as this is apparently their only avenue to receive info from users when there are problems or bugs in the Finance system. I have never experienced a problem before the past two days and I have been using Yahoo Finance for years now. I'm on a Mac iBook.

Please Help...if you can...or let Yahoo Finance know about this very real bug, if you can find a way into their inner sanctum. They are experiencing some kind of problem and I just hope they know about it and can fix it quickly!

Thanks!
elsiem54
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2009, 11:35 PM #3
Angry Reply from Yahoo
I finally was successful in getting through to Yahoo Tech Support. I sent them screen images detailing the problem. Here below is the reply I got from them , completely unsatisfactory:

Hello Yochanan,

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Finance.

Thanks for reporting the issue where column data is shifting in your
Yahoo! Finance Portfolio after making an edit.

Other users have also reported similar issues and unfortunately our
Engineering team is not able to give me an estimated fix date.
Regretfully, there is not a workaround for the problem at this time. We
will continue to investigate until we are able to identify the root
cause.

I apologize for not having more information for you and feel free to
check back in with us at anytime. I appreciate your patience and again
apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Finance.

Regards,

Vincent

Yahoo! Finance Customer Care
Finance E2Y

Here is the correct email address for Yahoo tech Support.

finance-admin@cc.yahoo-inc.com

I am now looking for another Portfolio Manger. I tried Google's but it is not as good as Yahoo's. It does not include high/low limits and does not update the totals on the bottom. CNN is too simple and MSN has no streaming update. If you, or anybody else, knows of another good one that has streaming real-time quotes let me know.
Computer Specs

31-Jul-2009, 01:05 AM #4
Unhappy re-column shifting Yahoo Finance Portfolios
Dear Yochanan-

Thank you for the info passed on from Yahoo. I too am unhappy with their response and know of no others like them, or I'd be on them already. This is bad news indeed. Perhaps the high rate of market volatility has caused an abnormally high volume of traffic on the Yahoo Finance site that they just weren't prepared for, and it just can't handle all the transactions going on. This puts a real damper on trading in the morning.

I do appreciate you sharing this info with me as I was beginning to blame my 4 year old Mac.

I'll keep you posted if I find something comparable to YF...you too, please.

Best -
elsiem54
Computer Specs

03-Aug-2009, 08:12 PM #5
Thumbs up Problem resolved by switching software
I finally got tired of waiting for Yahoo to fix the problem. I resolved it by switching to another software. I searched around and finally decided on Personal Stock Streamer at:

http://www.personalstockstreamer.com/index.html

The software is free but you need to pay for Streaming real time quotes. You can have 20 minutes d
elay for free or if you have a TD Ameritrde account it is also free.
So far I like it. It is much more powerful than Yahoo finance and has many more customizable features. Best of all, they have live on line chat support (not at all times).
Computer Specs

04-Aug-2009, 04:51 PM #6
Hi ybn1 -

Thank you so much for sharing this info. Personal Stock Streamer looks to be a fantastic site/software. I'm so jealous that you can use it. I rushed to the site after reading your response, and alas! it is not compatible with Mac! I am sooooooooo disappointed. But I do thank you for letting me know about it and I will try to find a Mac one that works as well.

By the way, Yahoo Finance got back to me twice, and they (he) wanted me to know that my email is now in the hands of the engineering department (sound familiar???). Farley at the HELP DESK wished me well and asked if he could be of any further help! I wanted to write back that actually, he was no help at all, but i just left it. They are totally baffled by our problem(s) and really have no solution whatsoever. So I scramble for something else to manage my portfolio. Wish me luck!

Again, many thanks for sharing your great find (wish I could use it too!) and happy trading to you!

elsiem54
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
ie8, portfolio, yahoo finance

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!