Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Remove BT Yahoo applications

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 94 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Sep-2009, 10:54 AM #1
Solved: Remove BT Yahoo applications
Please can someone help me remove BTYahoo Applications from my computer? I used to have BTYahoo as my ISP (now I am with TalkTalk) and when I removed the old ISP it left a program called BTYahoo applications. When I go to Control panel/ add- remove programs, it comes up with BT Base Components and tries to uninstall but won't. It tells me some other applications are using the base components but I can't see any other BT or Yahoo programs on the computer. BT could never help me so I left the program on and it didn't seem to matter. Now, however, I am getting an annoying box every single time I switch on telling me to download BTNetProtect from McAfee as mine is out of date. It says it will remove all my existing anti-virus protection etc. which I obviously don't want it to do. There is no option to refuse this offer other than closing the box. It wants to "update now" or "update later", neither of which is what I want. I have phoned BT and their answer is to reformat my computer (no way!) or get a "local vendor" to remove it for me with "sophisticated software". They say that if the program is removed the McAfee box won't come any more. I am fuming with BT as I don't see why I should pay to do something they should be able to help me with. Has anyone else had the same situation? and can anyone tell me if I have a way of forcing the program to go away?
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 31,730 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Sep-2009, 11:20 AM #2
BTYahoo Applications seem to be provided by Norton. Use the Norton Removal Tool.
Computer Specs
Member with 94 posts.

10-Sep-2009, 11:23 AM #3
Thank you for the suggestion.One little problem, though - I have just installed Norton 360 on my computer and it would remove that, too, wouldn't it?
Computer Specs

10-Sep-2009, 11:26 AM #4
Well, you can't run two antivirus programs at the time! It's either Norton or McAfee, not both.

Uninstall McAfee using the McAfee Removal Tool. Do the same for Norton.

Reinstall Norton 360.
Computer Specs
Member with 94 posts.

10-Sep-2009, 11:39 AM #5
I am confused now. I don't have 2 antivirus programs, just the new Norton. It is BTYahoo Base Components I want to remove and can't.
Computer Specs

10-Sep-2009, 11:44 AM #6
Then why are you talking about McAfee in your first post???

If you don't have McAfee, forget about it. Simply use the Norton Removal Tool.
Computer Specs
Member with 94 posts.

10-Sep-2009, 01:23 PM #7
Because the box that keeps coming up from BT says I should update now and "downlaod BTNetProtect Plus with McAfee" and this will "automatically remove my current security" and install the new version. I presume that BT has changed from their previous version (with Norton) and is now using McAfee.
I tried the option to update to see if I could get rid of the box but it wants my BT login and password which I don't have as I am no longer their customer. BT keep telling me to uninstall the Base Components through the control panel - but I keep telling them this doesn't work. I have even tried it in safe mode and get the same result.
Computer Specs

10-Sep-2009, 01:39 PM #8
Did you try the Norton Removal Tool?
Computer Specs
Member with 94 posts.

10-Sep-2009, 02:32 PM #9
Not yet but I will tackle it tomorrow. I am worried about not being protected if I remove my nice new Norton 360 and have to spend time getting rid of the BT dregs before I can put Norton back on. Perhaps I'll contact Norton helpdesk and ask them - or is that a silly idea? Thank you for all your patience; I really appreciate having somwhere to ask questions.
Computer Specs

10-Sep-2009, 02:41 PM #10
You won't be infected if not connected to the Web while performing these operations. Then, you can reinstall Norton, hoping not to find anymore traces of BTNetProtect.
Computer Specs
Member with 94 posts.

11-Sep-2009, 03:22 PM #11
Hi again. Today I uninstalled Norton using the removal tool but the wretched BTYahoo Online Protection is still there! I have now reinstalled Norton and am, of course, still getting the annoying box. This is what it says--------------------
Security Warning: your existing security from BT stops working on 30th June.
Click ‘Update Now’ to download the new BT NetProtect Plus, in association with McAfee®, for parental controls and protection against viruses, hackers, spyware and more.
The new software set-up will automatically help you remove your current security software and install the new BT NetProtect Plus on your PC.------------------
I have had a good look in Windows Explore to see what is actually there and under PROGRAMS I have found the following:
BTYahoo Help
BTOpenworld NetHelp
Yahoo
the last one of which contains the next little set of folders:
browser
common
Companion
Files
Installs
Messenger
Parental Controls
Shared
Update
YOP
YUM

I would like to obliterate all these but I shouldn't just delete them, should I? Why aren't they listed under Add/Remove programs? They do not appear to have any Uninstall options. Is there any hope???
Computer Specs
Member with 94 posts.

11-Sep-2009, 03:24 PM #12
I forgot to say that when I try to uninstall the BT Yahoo Applications listed under Add/Remove programs, this is the reason it says it can't do it:
BT Yahoo! Base Components are utilized by many BT Yahoo! applications. The Base Components may not be removed until all other BT Yahoo! applications are removed.
Computer Specs

11-Sep-2009, 03:30 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by technomum View Post
Hi again. Today I uninstalled Norton using the removal tool but the wretched BTYahoo Online Protection is still there! I have now reinstalled Norton and am, of course, still getting the annoying box. This is what it says--------------------
Security Warning: your existing security from BT stops working on 30th June.
Click ‘Update Now’ to download the new BT NetProtect Plus, in association with McAfee®, for parental controls and protection against viruses, hackers, spyware and more.
The new software set-up will automatically help you remove your current security software and install the new BT NetProtect Plus on your PC.------------------
I have had a good look in Windows Explore to see what is actually there and under PROGRAMS I have found the following:
BTYahoo Help
BTOpenworld NetHelp
Yahoo
the last one of which contains the next little set of folders:
browser
common
Companion
Files
Installs
Messenger
Parental Controls
Shared
Update
YOP
YUM

I would like to obliterate all these but I shouldn't just delete them, should I? Why aren't they listed under Add/Remove programs? They do not appear to have any Uninstall options. Is there any hope???
Can't you see any Yahoo entry which could contain all these applications in your Add/Remove programs?

You could try using the free Revo Uninstaller to see what it comes up with.
Computer Specs
Member with 94 posts.

11-Sep-2009, 05:41 PM #14
Thank you so much - I have just used the Revo Uninstaller and it appears to have worked! The proof will be when I switch on again in the morning and see if that box comes back - I'll let you know what happens. You have really helped me as I was geting very frustrated by it all. The Yahoo programs just didn't show at all in the Add/Remove list but Revo found them and the connected registry entries too.
Computer Specs

11-Sep-2009, 05:44 PM #15
You're welcome!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!