Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Only IE browser will work, not Firefox, Opera, etc...

(!)

AMP AMP is offline AMP has a Profile Picture
Junior Member with 14 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Sep-2009, 02:14 AM #1
Unhappy Only IE browser will work, not Firefox, Opera, etc...
When i try to browse using firefox or anything other than Internet Explorer, I get an error that says it can't connect when my connection is just fine. Firefox did once work until i clicked an update a month or so ago..ever since then I've been using IE and that's about it. It's not my virus protection because I've even tried turning it off and still no luck . I currently use Windows XP. Any suggestions or ideas of what's wrong? I'd really appreciate the help!

-Lex

20-Sep-2009, 02:42 AM #2
Unhappy Only IE browser will work, not Firefox, Opera, etc...
When I try to browse using firefox or anything other than Internet Explorer, I get an error that says It can't connect when my connection is just fine. Firefox did once work until i clicked an update a month or so ago..ever since then I've been using IE and that's about it. It's not my virus protection because I've even tried turning it off and still no luck . I currently use Windows XP. Any suggestions or ideas of what's wrong? I'd really appreciate the help!

-Lex
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

20-Sep-2009, 09:41 AM #3
This is almost surely a firewall configuration issue.

20-Sep-2009, 12:21 PM #4
that's what I thought it was but i turned it completely off and tried going on a different browser but the same error message came up.
Computer Specs

20-Sep-2009, 06:09 PM #5
I suspect you still have a firewall, the remains of one you uninstalled, or some other Internet security application that is blocking the connections.

Boot in Safe Mode with Networking and see if they work.

21-Sep-2009, 02:48 PM #6
Mozilla did in fact work when i booted in safe mode with networking. What should I do so it works in regular mode?
Computer Specs

21-Sep-2009, 02:55 PM #7
You need to find the remenant of whatever firewall or other Internet security application is stepping on those browsers.

I'd start by using MSCONFIG to disable groups of startup applications and rebooting to see what happens and when it works in normal mode.

21-Sep-2009, 07:30 PM #8
I did try that out just now and it didn't work. I could be doing something wrong though.
Computer Specs
Member with 773 posts.

22-Sep-2009, 03:50 AM #9
Try running the registry cleaner that comes with Ccleaner. Then restart.

If that fails, completely uninstall all other browsers, run a registry cleaner, restart, reinstall the others and give that a whir.
Computer Specs

22-Sep-2009, 08:33 AM #10
I'd be careful with registry cleaners! First off, it's very unlikely to solve this problem, but it's quite possible it'll create a host of new ones!

A good read: Ed Bott: "Why I don’t use registry cleaners"

Another opinion from a Microsoft MVP: Thoughts about Registry Cleaners and System Tweaking Tools
Computer Specs
Member with 773 posts.

22-Sep-2009, 01:09 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill View Post
I'd be careful with registry cleaners! First off, it's very unlikely to solve this problem, but it's quite possible it'll create a host of new ones!

A good read: Ed Bott: "Why I donít use registry cleaners"

Another opinion from a Microsoft MVP: Thoughts about Registry Cleaners and System Tweaking Tools
The reasons you have for not using a registry cleaner aren't the reasons I use them. The idea that they can "make your system like new" is completely fallacious. It MIGHT speed it up a LITTLE, but it isn't a miracle worker. The proper use is for when, say, you have recently uninstalled a program or device. I usually run a cleaner because some companies don't like to clean up their registry entries. That leaves some things sitting there that won't dislodge (unless you're a registry guru and enjoy picking 'em off by hand, but not everyone can afford to be that sick). I've tried to reinstall, reinstall, reinstall with zero results. Then I ran a registry clean and voila the attempt afterwords worked. As with anything, though, best create a restore point. I've only had one disaster as a result of a registry clean and I never used that one again. CCleaner offers, perhaps, the safest.
Computer Specs

22-Sep-2009, 01:42 PM #12
I've had earlier versions of CCleaner kill Microsoft Office and I had to reinstall it. Not that I complained, I got paid well for driving down to the client and sticking a CD in the drive.
Computer Specs
Member with 773 posts.

22-Sep-2009, 02:04 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill View Post
I've had earlier versions of CCleaner kill Microsoft Office and I had to reinstall it. Not that I complained, I got paid well for driving down to the client and sticking a CD in the drive.
LOL...well I'm sure they've corrected that problem, but you know clients: It wasn't THEIR fault! It was this stupid program! But that would make me a bit gun-shy, too. As a matter of fact, my disaster experience made me EXTREMELY gun-shy about cleaners. In short: I did a registry clean and everything went haywire: Couldn't even open executable programs. I was VERY careful about listening to anymore hype unless I saw that it was well-reviewed. Today I just checked cnet and ccleaner and wise registry cleaner 4 are the top two most popular downloads for this type of software (the very ones I happen to use). I like CCleaner better for the novice because it doesn't offer questionable entries to delete the way Wise does.

22-Sep-2009, 02:08 PM #14
I have Ccleaner downloaded..should I run it or would it end up creating more problems for me?
Computer Specs
Member with 773 posts.

22-Sep-2009, 02:18 PM #15
Tell you what...just to play it safe: Uninstall all your browsers except for IE. Restart. Reinstall the other browsers (fresh copies, don't import anything from IE). If that fails, then we'll play with CCleaner.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!