Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Outlook Express copy & paste .DBX to proper folder

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Feb-2010, 04:01 PM #1
Solved: Outlook Express copy & paste .DBX to proper folder
I am very frustrated! I renamed my OE6 store files for my Outlook Express emails as I have multiple identities. In addition, I create 2 additional folders in which I keep emails that I don't want to lose. Before the drive is reformated, these store folders containing only the 2 created folders are copied to a disk, (I usually copy all the folders, didn't this time). When I set up OE6 again, I create the 2 additional folders and then copy my saved emails back in, only this time it isn't working!!!! I create the additional folders during the set up of the identity, but when I copy and paste .dbx folders, they aren't being "read".

I have gotten myself confused as I have tried so many different ways to copy them back in where they belong that now I can't remember the order of the steps to accomplish this task. Could someone please help? I would be most appreciative.

The OS is Win XP Pro, SP3.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 4,957 posts.

10-Feb-2010, 05:23 PM #2
If I understand correctly, you have an Identity set up with 2 folders for storing old mails.
When you paste the saved DBX files into the Message Store folder for that Identity, they overwrite the existing DBX files but aren't being read by OE.

I can think of a couple possibilities.

You didn't have OE closed before transferring the files.

OR

The saved DBX files are marked Read Only (sometimes happens when transferring from storage mediums), in which case, after copying them to your computer, simply right click the file and clear the check from the Read Only attribute before copying and pasting them into the Message Store.

OR

When you created the Identity and created the 2 folders, you didn't spell them exactly the same. For example: the OE folder is named test but the saved DBX is named Test.dbx. Case and punctuation are critical.

OR

The saved files suffered corruption.

T.
Computer Specs

10-Feb-2010, 05:54 PM #3
Throoper
I discovered the attributes were read only so I changed that. One was misspelled, that was corrected.

How could I tell if they are corrupted? I look in explore and the .dbx file is there, I just can't "read" it when I open up that identity.

I did forget to mention, I have copied and pasted them in and I thought I remembered that I should see them being copied in and I do all of this when I am in the explore mode. Oh well.

Thanks for your thoughts. Should you think of something else, I would appreciate it.
Computer Specs

10-Feb-2010, 05:56 PM #4
Throoper
I just reread your answer and they are not overwriting the new .dbx file.

Thank you.
Computer Specs

10-Feb-2010, 06:09 PM #5
You're welcome, I think.
Did that sort it for you?
Computer Specs

10-Feb-2010, 07:15 PM #6
Throoper
Not sure yet as I just tried everything again. If I create the 2 folders in the identity and then close, look in explore, the .dbx is there as if it's a new .dbx folder. Then I copy and paste the information from my disk, both of the .dbx folders I created while in OE 6, now have a "folder name(1).dbx". Or maybe i'm just confused again. Maybe I should just wait until I'm more fresh. This is so hard for me to believe, I've been doing this for years and now ..........

Appreciate your imput.
Computer Specs

10-Feb-2010, 09:23 PM #7
Hmmm!!! Sounds like OE is still open and the files are in use.

Try deleting the new ones, then just drop the saved ones into the Store folder.

If you want to check the saved DBX files, use http://www.snapfiles.com/get/dbxviewer.html to see if they are readable.
Nice thing with that viewer is it will read them right on the CD.
If they open OK, you can always save them as EML's with the viewer and drop the EML's into the folders in OE.
I'll bet it's some really simple thing you're doing wrong and you'll go "DUH" when you figure it out.
Not that I would have any experience with doing simple things wrong, of course.
Computer Specs

10-Feb-2010, 09:47 PM #8
Throoper
Thank you for your additional thoughts. I had one also. I went back to my original disk, copied and pasted into my slave drive in the Store File for that identity, then used the import feature in OE6!!! Worked, never tried that one before, so I learned something new. I'm going to keep your instructions, if that's OK, that you just suggested. Never know when that will come in handy!

Thanks again and this can be marked at solved.
Computer Specs

10-Feb-2010, 09:59 PM #9
Glad you got it sorted.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!