Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to run new instance of opera by clicking icon

(!)

Member with 31 posts.

03-Mar-2010, 10:11 PM #1
How to run new instance of opera by clicking icon
I am using opera and loving it, but I'm really irritated by some of its default actions.

One of them is that it's new tab and new background tab hotkeys are opposite firefox's. I can live with that, but I'd like to solve it.

It's really annoying though, that when I double click my desktop icon, it opens a new TAB instead of a new window. To get a new window, it seems my only option is to move to an existing Opera window, hit new window, and then minimize the first window.

Does anyone know how to modify this behaviour or to just append something to the command line like "-newwindow" ?

I'd really like to know,
Will
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,220 posts.

Experience: Can handle a mouse
05-Mar-2010, 01:27 AM #2
Bigwilliex,

Not sure what you mean about the tab hotkey, but to change Opera to open a new window when you click on the icon, go to Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Tabs > Additional Tab Options and check the Open windows instead of tabs box.
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Mar-2010, 03:44 AM #3
I think he wants to just be able to double click the Opera icon and have a new window open up.

I want the same thing - a way to force Opera to open in new windows when the icon is clicked. Such basic functionality and they seem to have disabled it.

Anyone know how?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,030 posts.

16-Mar-2010, 09:48 AM #4
As far as I know, you can't open a second instance of Opera by clicking the icon.
With Opera running, click Ctrl+N (or File>New window) and it should open a second window.

16-Mar-2010, 10:08 AM #5
How come there isn't a way to runa new window by double clicking the icon? Is it a bug in the program? Or some "feature" they've come out with?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,030 posts.

16-Mar-2010, 10:41 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk1ny View Post
How come there isn't a way to runa new window by double clicking the icon? Is it a bug in the program? Or some "feature" they've come out with?

Clicking the icon calls the program and it looks for the Profile.
When it's already running, the Profile it's using is locked and you get an error.

You can run a separate instance with a different Profile, but not the same Profile.

16-Mar-2010, 10:44 AM #7
Such a shame they did it that way. Why would they implement such a stupid feature?
Computer Specs

16-Mar-2010, 01:17 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk1ny View Post
I think he wants to just be able to double click the Opera icon and have a new window open up.

I want the same thing - a way to force Opera to open in new windows when the icon is clicked. Such basic functionality and they seem to have disabled it.

Anyone know how?
Quote:
Originally Posted by throoper View Post
As far as I know, you can't open a second instance of Opera by clicking the icon.
With Opera running, click Ctrl+N (or File>New window) and it should open a second window.
Am I missing something? The instructions I gave above will cause Opera to open in a new window when you double click on its icon.

17-Mar-2010, 03:57 PM #9
RatBoy: Are you using the latest curren version of Opera (10.50)? Because your instructions do not work.

Double clicking the icon just results in a new tab within the current Opera window.

I know CTRL+N will open a window, but I want to be able to run multiple windows via the icon.
Computer Specs

18-Mar-2010, 12:46 AM #10
Sk1ny,

I wasn't running 10.5, I was running 10.1. So I installed 10.5 and was disappointed to find that the setting I suggested above no longer works.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Computer Specs

18-Mar-2010, 02:07 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwilliex View Post
Does anyone know how to modify this behaviour or to just append something to the command line like "-newwindow" ?

I'd really like to know,
Will
I just tried adding -newwindow to the end of the Target line on my Opera shortcut and it works!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!