Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Web Browser. Opera: Start Problem

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 207 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Apr-2010, 12:09 AM #1
Web Browser. Opera: Start Problem
I had the same problem with the previous version, so I downloaded and installed the latest version, and it happens again:

"Error initializing Opera: module 9"

I cannot start Opera anymore. Anyone knowing what's the cause behind, and how to solve that problem?
Member with 5,647 posts.

13-Apr-2010, 11:47 AM #2
Did you try the Support pages? If not, this is what they say about your error message; http://www.opera.com/support/kb/view/937/
Computer Specs
Member with 207 posts.

13-Apr-2010, 02:25 PM #3
Great answer, so far, thanks! But I got now one more question.

Quote:
[User Prefs]
Language File={Resources}locale\de\de.lng
Language Files Directory={Resources}locale\de
[System]
Multi User=1 ; If enabled Opera will use Windows profiles to store individual user settings
I use the German (DE) language. Instead of seeing the full path, I see only "{Resources}". I tried to change that to the full path leading to the target directory, but it still won't start. Otherwise, the path's correct. Or should I have to abandon the German language altogether?

Quote:
[User Prefs]
Language File=C:\Program Files\Browsers\Opera\locale\en\en.lng
Language Files Directory=C:\Program Files\Browsers\Opera\locale\en
[System]
Multi User=1 ; If enabled Opera will use Windows profiles to store individual user settings
But even changing all "de"s to "en", I got the same error message...

Last edited by Hirnsausen; 13-Apr-2010 at 02:32 PM..
Member with 5,647 posts.

13-Apr-2010, 06:05 PM #4
Like you, I would have thought that substituting 'de' for 'en' wherever it appeared was what was needed, at least that's how I read that KB article.

If you copy/pasted the replacement lines so that they were exactly as in the article (except for the language designations) it should, presumably, have worked. If I am understanding you correctly, you can't switch back to what I assume is the default english option either?

I'm afraid I am no expert at the technical stuff but I wonder if an uninstall and reinstall of a fresh download would at least restore the english version?
Computer Specs
Member with 207 posts.

13-Apr-2010, 09:20 PM #5
Well, thanks for your response. I appreciate it.

Good, that I am multi-lingual, so I can work with the English version, too, quite fine. But yes, you're right, I tried out four different versions of that ini file: I changed DE to EN, and also with both versions I tried the {Resource} and the full path. Nothing worked. Also, I just installed the latest version because of that problem. Still, the problem remained, and that's why i decided to post here, acquiring some good help. :-)

But what I did was to dow load the latest INTERNATIONAL version. Maybe I should have downloaded the latest ENGLISH version only. But I am afraid a little bit - we here in Europe know that software for the usage within the territory of the USA has these backdoors for US government agencies, and is less spy-save than software for the European market. I even have somewhere the listing of all of those ACTS (US laws) which enforce that usage of backdoors. That's, why I usually prefer the software made for the European audience.

If there's no further help here, I might have to "bite into the sour apple" and use the English version (hoping that will work then), but I hope, help's here.

Anyone else having some idea?
Member with 5,647 posts.

14-Apr-2010, 11:43 AM #6
I wasn't aware of any US laws about backdoors in software, but have heard the conspiracy theories about the easy ride Microsoft are alleged to have got from the US Dept of Justice in the various antitrust cases in return for an 'understanding' about access to their software (just what are the mysterious 'User Assist' files in the Registry all about? As they are lightly encrypted they aren't going to be much assistance to the average user!;http://www.personal-computer-tutor.c.../v29/vic29.htm).

Anyway, whether those stories are myth or reality, I would be surprised if it transpired that Opera, a Norwegian company, felt the need to comply with any US laws, particularly since it is hard to see how any such law could be enforced in such a way as to prevent the distribution of Opera in the US if it failed to 'comply'..

PS. Have you seen the language files available to download?; http://www.opera.com/download/languagefiles/
Computer Specs
Member with 207 posts.

14-Apr-2010, 01:31 PM #7
Ah, I wished these were only theories. Fact is, that Microsoft ships a very special, mysteriously cheap version of XP to the countries of the Caribbean (where I live). I had the German XP before, but i see some differences: despite of the firewall (I use ZoneAlarm), I recognized it was possible for someone to access files on my system and to delete them. These were been legal files. Also, the firewall seems to behave differently than on my German XP version - despite of being active, I still see (with some special software) a lot of traffic going on, even if the firewall has been set to disabled all Internet traffic. When I physically disconnect the modem cable, the traffic remains dead even after I plug in the cable again, for some minutes. A lot of Caribbean governments use that special Windows XP version...

But let's get back to the subject, forgive my excursions. :-D

I installed the latest language file for my latest version of Opera, still the same error...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!