Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Very strange Firefox issues

(!)

Junior Member with 24 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Apr-2010, 05:09 PM #1
Solved: Very strange Firefox issues
Hi. I'm running windows vista on a Compaq Presarion desktop and Firefox has been coming up with all kinds of strange errors lately. Most commonly, after normal browsing for a while, I get this message popping up when I try to open a site in a new tab
Quote:
You have chosen to open
[blank]
which is a: application/octet stream
from [url]
This happens from safe and frequently-visited sites, including google, so it's nothing to do with where I'm trying to go. Shutting down firefox and re-opening doesn't help, although that sometimes gives me different errors, eg
Quote:
Content encoding error
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression
and
Quote:
Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to login.yahoo.com.
SSL received a record with an incorrect Message Authentication Code.
(Error code: ssl_error_bad_mac_read)
The page you are trying to view can not be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.
Can someone help me with this? I just started with Vista, but up until then had been experiencing absolutely no similar issues on XP. As I'd installed it less than a week ago, I can be pretty certain its not a virus or malware.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 7,141 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Apr-2010, 06:20 PM #2
Wow, talk about coincidence.

I presume you're running Firefox 3.6.3. What other anti-virus and anti-spyware software do you have installed? Do you have any Firefox extensions installed? If so, please list them.

Peace...

18-Apr-2010, 07:13 PM #3
Yeah, I thought it was odd someone else had exactly the issues I am having.

Currently not running Antivirus/antispyware (due to some odd downloading issue with my network card; working on getting AVG & adaware).

Extensions:
Adblock Plus 1.1.3
Download Statusbar 0.9.6.8
Gmail Notifier 0.6.4.1
Image Toolbar 0.6.8
Java console 6.0.18
Logitech Device Detection 1.0.176.0
Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 1.1
Show Me More 1.3
StumbleUpon 3.63
WebMail Notifier 2.3.4
Computer Specs

18-Apr-2010, 07:19 PM #4
Ok, try running Firefox in Safe mode and see if the problems persist. In other comments I've skimmed about the "Error code: ssl_error_bad_mac_read" message, networking hardware issues have come up more than once. So, if you're having network card issue downloading software those might be interfering with your general surfing as well.

Can you try a different network adapter?

EDIT: Also, which version (and service pack level) of Windows Vista are you running?

Peace...
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,628 posts.

18-Apr-2010, 08:36 PM #5
Also try ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

18-Apr-2010, 09:43 PM #6
Yeah, I'm guessing it's something to do with the network card. The real odd thing is, the friend who set me up with vista & the network card tried a little box labeled "Airlink 101" that plugs an ethernet cable to my computer (I'm just guessing going off the wireless signal), and that seemed to fix the download issues, but not the page problems. The thing is, the Airlink seemed to stop working ehen I moved my computer.

Safe mode seems to fix the situation though. Could that mean it's an addon that's doing this, or a user setting somewhere?

Edit: at least i thought it solved it. A bit more browsing popped up a compression error page. I'll update if I get either of the other 2 oddities.

Edit 2: Sorry, missed the version question. Vista Home Premium (6.0, build 6000); not 100% on the service pack, unless that's parts of the 6.0/6000 thing above.

Edit 3: Got the first error again (the application/octet stream one).

Last edited by mstieler; 18-Apr-2010 at 10:43 PM..
Computer Specs

19-Apr-2010, 01:19 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstieler View Post
Yeah, I'm guessing it's something to do with the network card. The real odd thing is, the friend who set me up with vista & the network card tried a little box labeled "Airlink 101" that plugs an ethernet cable to my computer (I'm just guessing going off the wireless signal), and that seemed to fix the download issues, but not the page problems. The thing is, the Airlink seemed to stop working ehen I moved my computer.
Ok, so you're getting the browsing issues when you use the wireless adapter built-in to the laptop? Do you get the same browsing behavior when you use IE or some other browser?

Try the things TerryNet mentions above and report back the results.

Is the Airlink 101 adapter a card you inserted into the laptop or is it a USB adapter? Were you using this Airlink 101 card the entire time you've been having problems? Did you DISABLE the wireless adpater in the laptop when using the Airlink 101 card? If both the Airlink 101 card (providing the Ethernet connection) and the wireless adapter are BOTH active and providing "live" connections to the Internet, Windows is probably getting confused and splitting website traffic across both adapters, causing unpredictable results.

Peace...

19-Apr-2010, 01:46 AM #8
The issue is on a desktop, sorry for any confusion there.

Airlink 101 seems to be a wireless adapter that connects to the computer simply via ethernet cable into the ethernet modem that came with my computer. It's plugged into an electrical socket, and receiving info that way.

The wireless card was the first thoughtfor getting my computer connected, and it did connect me to the internet, but screwed up any downloads i tried.

Just tried a download after disconnecting the Airlink cable and it seems to work. Once my scans are done I'll do TerryNet's suggestions and restart, then putz around a bit and see if I get any more issues randomly.

Hopefully, once the roommate that helped me get connected gets back, I can just get around all this wireless crap and connect with the ethernet cable that's stuck in the wall; apparently the last roommate used it, but it's no longer connected.
Computer Specs

19-Apr-2010, 09:34 AM #9
Are you talking about this Airlink101 Multi-function AP, or something similar?
Computer Specs

19-Apr-2010, 10:29 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstieler View Post
Airlink 101 seems to be a wireless adapter that connects to the computer simply via ethernet cable into the ethernet modem that came with my computer. It's plugged into an electrical socket, and receiving info that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
Are you talking about this Airlink101 Multi-function AP, or something similar?
I think he's got one of these:

APL8511 Powerline Turbo 85Mbps Ethernet Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstieler
Just tried a download after disconnecting the Airlink cable and it seems to work.
This is good to know. If you disconnected the Airlink device, how did you get your desktop system connected to your router or broadband modem? Did you plug the Ethernet cable directly into your router or broadband modem?

Peace...
Computer Specs

19-Apr-2010, 10:39 AM #11
Quote:
I think he's got one of these:

APL8511 Powerline Turbo 85Mbps Ethernet Adapter
Good thought. Those are much more unreliable (depending on the electrical system). Of course, that doesn't explain the "wireless" part.
Computer Specs

19-Apr-2010, 10:42 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
Of course, that doesn't explain the "wireless" part.
I think this might be a case of "incorrect terminology". Since there is no "wire" connecting the desktop system to the router or broadband modem, the term "wireless" might be used since the connection between the adapter and the router/modem doesn't have any "wires" either.

We'll confirm this once we hear back from mstieler.

Peace...

19-Apr-2010, 03:27 PM #13
Okay, I had a combination of things:
Internal ethernet adapter that had yet to fail me, as it was 100% wired (and came with the system)

Wireless card (Texas Instruments 802.11g) which after installation, seemed to cause my downloads to show up bugged (d/ling at 700-800 KB/s instead of a more normal 150-300 or so KB/s), which created corrupt portions of the downloads

Airlink's odd thing. Here's a pic I took of it (which doesn't seem to match up to either of the products; I haven't been able to see what my roommate has; it could be something along the lines of the Multi-function one)

The Airlink device picked up the signal wirelessly, and it was transferred via cable to my original, plugin ethernet adapter.

On an odd side-note, I'd noticed that SP1 just popped up in my updates (I'd figured something like that was going to be earlier), and after it, now SP2 came up. I'll restart and see what other updates come up; could this oddly be some combination of strangeness?
Computer Specs

19-Apr-2010, 03:37 PM #14
I think the winner is ..... tomdkat! It's not really wireless. Signals travel between router and your computer by ethernet wires, then electrical wires, then more ethernet. I base that on the LEDs--believing that E link means ethernet and P link means the power (electric) lines.

Back to the issue. You are now using the wireless, it is working better than previously (as indicated by a successful download of SP1), and you are hoping to be able to use a direct ethernet connection to the router?

19-Apr-2010, 04:18 PM #15
Yes, it does seem to be working quite well. No download issues as of yet, and so far none of the odd page issues in the first post have cropped up. My preference would be to be hard-wired, as a wireless signal just doesn't seem like it works well for online gaming (though that's another whole issue there).
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!