Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Why is Firefox So Slow

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 647 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-May-2010, 12:59 AM
Why is Firefox So Slow
I am using the most up to date version of firefox (3.6.3). Recently I am having a problem with it being slow to load some pages. It'll load half of the page and it'll take a few minutes to load the rest. If i open IE 8 and go to the same page at the same time, IE will load it 3 times as fast - almost instantly. Some pages I use have pop-up boxes that I have to open and fill in forms - those take forever to open, only on Firefox. I tried uninstalling the java console but that didn't help. I disabled all 6 of the add-ons that I have, and that didn't help. I also tried a couple of tricks I found online like /prefetch and also the network pipelining in the about:config. Nothing helps.

Someone sent me a link from facebook. I clicked it from my email and it opened a blank page. I have the add-on called IE Tab which can render the page as it would be in Internet Explorer so I clicked that with the same facebook link and it opened up right away. Can't make it work with FF. That's just one example.

It wasn't always like this. I have had these add-ons for a long time so I didn't add anything recently. What could be wrong??

Last edited by BML; 13-May-2010 at 01:10 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 557 posts.

13-May-2010, 09:22 AM
I would suggest to disable all addons in firefox if you have any. Then try with the addons disabled. If it works ok then enable them one at a time to find the culprit.
Computer Specs
Member with 647 posts.

13-May-2010, 12:13 PM
My add-ons don't disable. When I click on one, I see two options - disable, and uninstall. If I click disable, it turns into enable and says to restart firefox to complete changes. After I restart it, if I click on that add-on again, it still says disable or uninstall as if it is still enabled. Something seems wrong.
Computer Specs
Member with 557 posts.

13-May-2010, 06:22 PM
Try uninstalling firefox and reinstalling it and see if that does anything. If it doesnt I would suggest that you click on the report button and ask the moderators to move your thread to the malware and HJT forum.

Last edited by boo5790; 13-May-2010 at 06:54 PM..
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-May-2010, 08:50 AM
another option might be to try Chrome! You might just find that the extra speed and lighter feel suits you!
Computer Specs
Member with 647 posts.

15-May-2010, 01:33 AM
I uninstalled firefox, downloaded a new copy from mozilla, and re-installed making a new profile. I did not copy any profile stuff over except backup bookmarks. I haven't installed any of my add-ons yet. It has been slower than IE on a couple websites. I will keep testing the new install.
Computer Specs
Member with 557 posts.

15-May-2010, 08:53 AM
You can also try running your computer in safe mode with networking to see if there is any improvement
Member with 73 posts.

15-May-2010, 10:50 AM
If you have lot of tabs open in firefox it will be slow. The reason is firefox try to keep everything in memory and if you PC does not have enough memory then firefox will be slow.
Computer Specs
Member with 647 posts.

16-May-2010, 02:03 AM
My new copy of firefox is still slow on certain sites. One thing I happened to notice is that on most of the pages that are loading slow, it says in the status bar that it is waiting for 74.55.39.45. I wouldn't have thought much of it, but why is it stuck on that connection on several different sites? could this somehow be part of the problem? I did an adware scan and also virus scan and I don't have anything showing up.
Computer Specs
Member with 557 posts.

16-May-2010, 09:32 AM
you can install malwarebytes from here http://www.filehippo.com/download_ma..._anti_malware/ and run a scan with it to see if it picks up anything. this is a good free program to keep and run a scan with regularily. If it doesnt pick up anything then you might want to click on the report button and ask a moderator to move your thread to the malware and hjt forum.
Computer Specs
Member with 647 posts.

16-May-2010, 11:42 PM
I did the malware bytes scan. It found 2 things - but did not take any action. It is called Adware.Agent.N and the file is cryptnvmcsound.dll plus a registry entry. So I don't know what to do with this. It could be related to another thread I posted in the malware section.
Account Disabled with 2 posts.

18-May-2010, 08:28 AM
Are you sure that your Firefox is slow ,it may be that you Internet connection is slow.
Computer Specs
Member with 647 posts.

18-May-2010, 01:06 PM
I think this may be solved and had to do with something that turned out to be malware. I think. I will continue monitoring it for a few days.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
firefox

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!