Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Should I update to Thunderbird 3.0 with Lightning?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1,380 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Jun-2010, 04:06 PM #1
Solved: Should I update to Thunderbird 3.0 with Lightning?
I currently use Thunderbird 2.0, and I haven't upgraded to the newer versions because I really need the "events and tasks" add-on feature....it's what I use to keep track of things, get reminders, etc. Very valuable. However, I am starting to get constant hangs and freezes on the reminders; so much so that I can't tolerate it any longer, and I'm thinking of upgrading to 3.0 and getting Lightning to use with it, since I believe it fully integrates with Thunderbird.

Can anyone give me feedback on whether Lightning and Thunderbird 3.0 are the way to go? Thanks!
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,030 posts.

28-Jun-2010, 08:14 PM #2
What is the name of the "events and tasks" add-on?
There may be an updated version for 3.0 or it may work with 3.0 if the Install.rdf is modified.

T.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,068 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Jun-2010, 08:00 AM #3
I use it on the 3.X builds and have not had a problem. Just perform the upgrade, then go into "tools/add-ons" and then Thunderbird should search for any add-on (Lightning) updates when you run it for the first time.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,380 posts.

30-Jun-2010, 12:25 PM #4
I think I'll do just that....it couldn't get any worse so what have I got to lose? Throoper: I have no idea of the name of the reminder program! I posted separately on this months ago and no one could tell me what it was. I searched high and low, even on Thunderbird forums, and got no response. I finally dumped Thunderbird 2.5, or whatever I had upgraded to, and reinstalled 2.0, at which point the events/tasks reminder came right back with it, so I assumed it was an integral part of Thunderbird 2.0....anyway, I do not know the name of it....I am going to go ahead and try 3.0.....all I want is that I can set reminder messages for things I need to do, important events, etc, and I really rely on that.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,380 posts.

30-Jun-2010, 12:28 PM #5
I should add.....it's very important for me that any such reminder/tasks program be integrated into Thunderbird.....it's the most convenient way for me to keep track of things. I know there are hundreds of reminder programs out there but I need one to integrate into Thunderbird.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,030 posts.

30-Jun-2010, 03:09 PM #6
I found your thread from a couple months ago, and it looks like an old version of lightning.
It's not part of any T-bird release.
Strange that it's not listed in your Add-ons.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,380 posts.

05-Jul-2010, 02:21 PM #7
Ok, I installed Thunderbird 3.0 and it came with Lightning, which, as it turns out, IS the reminder program I've been using. 3.0 is working fine and the transition was seamless. The reminder screens still hang a little, but for about 5 seconds now rather than forever. I'll take it. I'll stick with 3.0 for the time being as I'm satisfied with it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!