Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Are emails stored on hard drive?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Aug-2010, 12:07 AM #1
Solved: Are emails stored on hard drive?
Our computer has suffered a motherboard failure and I would like to retrieve email both read and unread. Is that possible? I can put the hard drive in an external case and access it from another computer. Does anyone know of any way to get to the emails, or if they are even stored on the hard drive? I have tried Web Mail but it seems to only have the latest from a short time ago. We are using Cox.net on a computer that was using Win XP SP3 and Internet Explorer 8.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 53,063 posts.

15-Aug-2010, 02:51 AM #2
if you used IE 8 to read email online - then you do not have the emails stored on C as this was onlin eonly
however - if you used an email client on the PC they would have been downloaded

what email application was you using on the PC
they all store the files differently
Computer Specs
Member with 1,156 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Aug-2010, 05:58 AM #3
I use Outlook (not Express), and emails are located in a hidden pst file, buried down several hidden folders on the C: drive. I back my file up about 1-2 times per month, to another drive, using the built-in export function of Outlook.

Nothing is left on a server, as I do not use webmail or IMAP.
I use POP3, which takes emails from that computer and transfers to mine.

As etaf says, each program is different. More details needed.
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

15-Aug-2010, 08:26 AM #4
Thank you both for responding.
Both computers are set up to use IE8, Firefox, and Chrome as browsers. For email, we use MS Outlook Express 6. Our internet is Cox.net and we use POP3. Looking at our operating computer, I was able to do a file search for *.dbx and found several files that appear to be email files, but I could not open them. I ran across Paretologic FileCure which purports to be able to open files. I downloaded but have not registered, so at this point I don't seem to be able to check it out unless I register. Is this software a way to get to the emails and open them up?
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,473 posts.

15-Aug-2010, 08:48 AM #5
You should be able to Replace the dbx files in your working system with the dbx folders from the old HD.
This will Import the old mail (folders) to the new system.

I've used free dbx readers in the past .. Right now, I don't remember which one.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

15-Aug-2010, 08:58 AM #6
This may help ... See Here
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

15-Aug-2010, 08:59 AM #7
Thank you all for your responses. I will try replacing the dbx files from the 'old' HD to the 'new' HD, after I save the working machine emails so I don't lose them.
Computer Specs

15-Aug-2010, 09:11 AM #8
As I recall .. This can be a little tricky and several attempts may be needed ...
Too bad M$ didn't make it easier.

Next time .. Just Drag n Drop the emails you want to save (backup) to a folder and save the folder.
It's a whole lot easier to Drag n Drop the eml files back to restore (read) them.
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

15-Aug-2010, 09:20 AM #9
I printed the item you referred me to and bookmarked the Outlook Express info site. Will take awhile to absorb the wealth of information and I appreciate you pointing out these resources.
Thanks again for your help. I think I have enough information to proceed (cautiously) from here.
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

15-Aug-2010, 03:19 PM #10
I consider the thread closed and I appreciate the helpful responses. Thank you!
Computer Specs

15-Aug-2010, 03:27 PM #11
Only you can mark the thread Solved .. It's at the top somewhere.
I didn't start this thread so I can't see the Solve button.
This will save others from trying to solve it .. But you can holler back at us any time.
We'll get notified of any new posts here.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!