Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet Slow - Bizarre Circumstance

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Aug-2010, 11:20 AM #1
Internet Slow - Bizarre Circumstance
Hello All,

I am no computer expert - but I know enough to get me around. However I have encountered a problem over the past week, and quite frankly it is doing my head in!

I am having a problem with periodic slowdown of web pages opening. The speedtest on the computer I am having the issue on is fluctuating between 5mbs but on occasion dropping as low as 0.68mbs - ping is consistent at around 52. There is no problem with the other computers on the network which speed tests all come out between 5mbs and 4mbs - depending on the time of day - which is normal.

I can't work it out - here is what i have tried with the results.

I have reset the browsers (IE8 and chrome) back to original settings - no effect
I have disabled any unnecessary plug-ins - no effect
Tried to update wireless driver - no effect
Deleted and re-installed driver - no effect
I have re-started in safe mode - SUCCESS - normal operation - so now know its not hardware!
Tried system restore - no effect
Run antivirus - no infection - no effect
Run Malware Bytes - no malware - no effect
Run spybot - no spyware - no effect
Turned off antivirus and firewall - no effect
Tried all off windows trouble shooting - no effect

I am loathed to re-install windows - there must be a solution to this issue - i am hoping someone out there is able to assist me.

System Details:

Dell desktop inspiron 531
Windows 7 professional
4gb ram
AMD 64 processor
Browser - Chrome (primary) and IE8 (secondary)
Wireless connection - unable to hardwire due to PC location
Further details provided if required.

Please don't get too technical with responses - plain English please - not that advanced!

Thanks for reading - and helping if you can!
Member with 938 posts.

Experience: Super Dooper Advanced
15-Aug-2010, 01:12 PM #2
Could be your ISP , might be worth seeing if they have changed any settings in your modem,or any problems in your area.
Try switching it off then think of a nice cream cake mmmmm and switch it back on again.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Aug-2010, 01:56 PM #3
Thanks for the suggestion.

Just tried that. No change I'm afraid..
Member with 938 posts.

Experience: Super Dooper Advanced
15-Aug-2010, 02:04 PM #4
and your ISP said it was a local fault that they are rushing to fix and will gladly compensate you for your loss of connectivity ????
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,413 posts.

15-Aug-2010, 02:23 PM #5
Quote:
I have re-started in safe mode - SUCCESS - normal operation - so now know its not hardware!
Time to find the software culprit then.

The referenced threads in the following show how two of us went about tracking down similar issues.

The following services have each given at least one person networking problems in Vista.

SSTP-service (secure tunneling protocol) caused one person's Microsoft network products to go slow: http://forums.techguy.org/networking...ml#post5911440

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager caused my Firefox to load pages slowly: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vi...ad-slowly.html

In Windows 7 Remote Access Connection Manager has (very strangely) caused my Firefox to slow.
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Aug-2010, 03:23 PM #6
Sounds to me like either the router needs replacement unless the others connect OK wirelessly or the wireless adapter needs replacement.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
broadband, network, slow internet, speed, wireless

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!