Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet randomly shuts off.

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Jan-2011, 03:07 PM #1
Internet randomly shuts off.
Hello
First let me thank everyone for any help I get in advance.

So in 2 weeks I move in with a buddy of mine and would like to resolve this issue before I do so. They use Time Warner Cable company. For the past about year they have been having internet issues. The problem is they are getting free cable (his dad is ridiculously cheap) and are afraid to call the ISP out in fear they might fix whatever is allowing this. It is impossible to convince him otherwise or to stop being a thief. Believe me Ive tried a thousand times.

THE ISSUE: Every 10 minutes to 2 hours the internet stops working. Not just for 1 computer, for every device in the house (4 computers, 3 Xboxs and a Wii). When it happens you have to log in to the router and reset it (or unplug it) in order to regain connection. Its aweful because it makes online gameplay impossible. And me and the friend both take online coarses at our college. Last semester he failed a class when it went off in the middle of his exam which he was not able to retake.

As I said, it is randomly every little while. We have not noticed anything that correlates with it going off. The wireless modem/router is a Motorola SBG900. When you log into it, under Cable/Status it lists Acquire Downstream Channel, Obtain Upstream Parameters,Establish IP Connectivity using DHCP, Establish Time Of Day, Transfer Operational Parameters through TFTP, and Cable Modem Status. Beside each one of those it tells you the status (such as obtaining, done, failed, operational.) It used to usually say "obtaining" beside upsteam parameters of downstream channels. And if you waited it would reset itself. But latley sometimes it just says "failed" next to Cable Modem Status and you have to reset or wait a long time for it to begin working again. There are even times when it says its functioning properly and must be reset in order to get it to work.

Ive searched the web and there are a million people with the same issue, but most of the time its just one computer for them. And if not the solution doesnt help us.

Is there anymore info I can retrieve to help anyone help me?

Thanks again!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 49,864 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Jan-2011, 03:20 PM #2
Quote:
The problem is they are getting free cable (his dad is ridiculously cheap) and are afraid to call the ISP out in fear they might fix whatever is allowing this. It is impossible to convince him otherwise or to stop being a thief. Believe me Ive tried a thousand times.
We cant really help you here - the first test would be to get a line test quality test checked out by the ISP
otherwise potentially replace the modem/router

So I'm closing the post
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
internet, isp, issues, motorola

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!