Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Unusually SLOW Internet!

(!)

Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Beginner
22-Feb-2011, 08:56 PM #1
Unusually SLOW Internet!
Hello there,

A few weeks ago, my internet was so fast I couldn't even blink before the new page, now it's horribly slow! Pages load for months, YouTube doesn't even work (instantly shows full red bar, as if it's all buffered, then you find that the video frequently stops because it has to load, what's up with that?!), games lag (turns out I have a ping over 9000). When I check for malware, MB and Avast come up clean (although I think they're missing something). What is wrong?! Can you guys help me fix my internet speed please?.

P.S. My friend was trying to somehow connect the Xbox to my laptop, and I guess he messed around with the network adapters menu somehow, but in my system tray, the network icon (which is supposed to be a full 5 bars) shows up empty with a red x, even though I'm wirelessly connected to a router and my connection is perfect! This probably needs to go into the network section, but I decided to kill two birds with one stone, if I can.

Thank you in advance.
JennyJackson01   (Jenny) JennyJackson01 is offline JennyJackson01 has a Profile Picture
Member with 636 posts.

22-Feb-2011, 10:52 PM #2
Try hardwiring your machine and resetting your router back to factory default and then re-install the logon information.

Jenny
Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Beginner
26-Feb-2011, 11:49 AM #3
when you say re-install the logon information....you mean re-set the network info? Because I reset the router?
Account Disabled with 496 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Feb-2011, 12:05 PM #4
dunno here,

you may of already tried this, but right click on the network icon and see if there is a repair option. If so click on it, might help.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Feb-2011, 01:04 PM #5
When you say you reset the router,do you mean a reset to default state(holding the reset button in for at least 15 secs) or a power on reset.?Just powering it off then on again ?
And when you say you are wirelessly connected to the router and the connection is perfect.What does that mean?That,you can ping the gateway,or ?
And as a followup to Jenny's post,generally here are the steps if you want to do that.
Tips on setting up broadband connection, courtesy of Johnwill

You don't need any setup disk to configure a broadband router.

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on. The following procedure should get you a connection with any broadband modem that is configured to use DHCP for the router connection, such as cable modems, and many DSL modems. If you require PPPoE configuration for the DSL modem, that will have to be configured to match the ISP requirements.
• Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
• Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
• Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
• Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
• Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
• Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous command output!

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
internet, network icon, red x, slow, slow internet

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!