Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Repair Live Mail 2011?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Apr-2011, 10:47 AM #1
Repair Live Mail 2011?
Hi - Can I safely reinstall Live Mail 2011 without losing all current emails & folders? If so from which link?

I just cannot see how to add html signatures or banners. Forums refer to 'use the tool bar/or expand the Tool Bar' but even that seems to have disappeared from the header.

Even the html 'Insert' tab does not produce the image and only inserts the code into the body of the email. Pointless! This has been driving my mad for weeks. Any sanity restoring solutions welcome. Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
18-Apr-2011, 11:45 AM #2
Livemail is just a client. The email itself sits on a server on the internet, not on your computer.

There must have been something installed on your computer that caused the functionality to no longer function.
Computer Specs

18-Apr-2011, 12:27 PM #3
Hi - Understand what you say but in the absence of being able to find this 'something' do I simply reinstall Live Mail in the hope that it will repair? Bit & pieces have been dropping off for a while now - no spell check - no html - no Tool bar. Cheers
Computer Specs

18-Apr-2011, 12:38 PM #4
Things just do not drop off. It is a web based email client so you really have no control over what is there aside from what they give you. If you install add-ons to your browser this will in some cases mess with toolbars, etc.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,131 posts.

18-Apr-2011, 12:47 PM #5
Are you talking about a web email that you access via a browser, as Rockn assumes, or the Windows Live Mail 2011 email client, as I assume?

I would certainly make at least one backup of any involved important data before reinstalling anything.

You can get Windows Live Mail 2011 from here.

18-Apr-2011, 12:49 PM #6
I was assuming the web mail deal. I think I have seen a standalone version that is an installable client.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,119 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Apr-2011, 12:53 PM #7
Open Live Mail. up in the top left corner you will see a dark blue rectangle with a down arrow in it. Click on the arrow, it will expand a menu. Scroll down to Options> select mail. this will open the familiar options folder.
Now, go back to the home page at the top of the window is a quick link option bar, there is a little black arrow, click on that and it will give you the options of what you want to display. I think this is what you are wanting.,

Rockn:
Where the emails are stored depends on your settings. I have the emails all on my computer and have the deleted from the servers, after they have downloaded to my computer...
Vicks
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,131 posts.

18-Apr-2011, 12:54 PM #8
The case of the dueling assumptions. I have no idea which of our assumptions is correct.

The Windows Live Mail I am talking about is one of the applications in Windows Live Essentials, and is Microsoft's replacement for Vista's Windows Mail and pre-Vista's Outlook Express.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,119 posts.

18-Apr-2011, 02:32 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
The case of the dueling assumptions. I have no idea which of our assumptions is correct.

The Windows Live Mail I am talking about is one of the applications in Windows Live Essentials, and is Microsoft's replacement for Vista's Windows Mail and pre-Vista's Outlook Express.
Terry,. You and I are barking up the same tree!
Vicks
Computer Specs

19-Apr-2011, 04:11 AM #10
Live Mail gaps
Still no progress. I'm familiar with the 'signature' Option and use it a lot. However, what I'm still looking for is the ability to add html inserts for stuff like product banners. In good old fashioned Outlook Express there was an 'insert image' ( or some such) icon on the message header that would take html and produce an imported image in the body of an email that was visible before 'Send'. That is no longer a facility in Live Mail as far as I can see. In lay terms facilities have 'dropped of' eg. spell check no longer works. I have long thought that Live Mail is what we in Surrey call 'a pile of poo' I'll go for a reinstall and hang the consequences. Thanks for the advice all round.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,119 posts.

19-Apr-2011, 10:32 AM #11
I don't know where you are looking......In my Windows live mail, when I open the option for new message, the tabs are a drop down menu. next message, next insert. Click on that taband it gives you several options, includiing Photo album/single photo, I use this feature many times a day. When the single photo option opens, you can choose from anyplace you have listed in documents, I have a folder for email pictures that I use little junque from, also have inserted regular photos, or data information..... Very easy to use.
It might help if you will click on the little blue circle with the white question mark in it, and just read the different things in there.... Also I believe you can get a tutorial from MS for using Windows Live Mail...
Vicks
Computer Specs

19-Apr-2011, 12:57 PM #12
Hi - sorry but I'm on a different page with this query. I'm familiar with dropping in .jpg images in the body of an email. What I need is the ability that appeared on Outlook Express wherein is is possible to click on an insert html icon that will connect with anything for which you have a a URL link. eg. I've got a handscripted signature that is on a .jpg and is on a URL. What I need more so is the ability to drop in third party 'banners' for products etc. These need to appear in the body of the email and then are clickable by the recipient to be directed through to wherever. It is no good clicking on a .jpg image of same as that won't click through anywhere. Outlook Ex. also had different tabs at point of 'send' that read something like the current composing page for a message, then there was a 'Review' page that carried any html inserted script and a third page/window for some other stuff. I think I'll just use my other PCs for these type of messages as I'm afraid that life is too short to try and sort this. Nonetheless thanks for your interest and inputs.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!