Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

IE8 won't stay open

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 187 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Apr-2011, 04:40 PM #1
Exclamation IE8 won't stay open
I have tried to get IE 8 installed twice now and I have had the exact same problem both times... The first time was when it was first released and the second time was last week....

I downloaded from the Windows Update site both times, it installs fine. When IE 8 is opened, it closes automatically within seconds by itself every single time. There's no time to do anything in the program before it closes itself. I thought it was a bug when it first came out but after all this time it is still doing the exact same thing.

I cannot contact Microsoft, they want to charge money for help with IE. I looked around online and did see others with a similar problem. The only response I could find to their same issues was to download from the IE site rather than Windows Update. I tried that however the first attempt the download completely stopped responding and the 2nd attempt the dialog for the download to start doesn't even come up at all now. I cleared the cache and tried on both Firefox and IE7 to download without any luck. I am on a 24k dialup connection which I'm sure played a part in the download not responding the first time.

I hardly ever use IE but there are a few sites I do have to visit off and on that will only run in IE. The plug-in for Firefox to run IE crashes the browser and the sites are going to be doing some new remodel so that IE 8+ is required to run it correctly. If I didn't use these other sites, I wouldn't care because I hate IE browser, but I do need access to the sites and need help figuring out why IE8 won't stay open

I'm running Windows XP SP3, 32-bit. I uninstalled 8 for now and am back to IE7. Any ideas? The sites are not doing their remodel until this summer so I only have a few months to get this figured out
Computer Specs
Member with 5,119 posts.

19-Apr-2011, 05:59 PM #2
Download it on a computer that has a better connection, burn it to disk or put on a flash drive, the on the computer you want to install it on, disable your AV/Firewall and Anti malware/spyware then install.
Vicks
Computer Specs
Member with 187 posts.

19-Apr-2011, 06:35 PM #3
I don't have access to another computer. I'm over 20 miles from town without transportation. I don't know anybody around here either.

Is downloading from the actual download site rather than Windows Update going to be the only way to fix the problem with IE8 closing itself right after opening? There are no other fixes to attempt? I'll try and keep downloading as I have time, but it's a 2hr download.... I normally don't have problems with files under 60mb but the MS download site just won't respond for me at all and the file barely made it to 500kb.
Computer Specs
Member with 187 posts.

21-Apr-2011, 03:14 PM #4
I have an update..... I managed to get the download from the main IE site to go all the way through. The problem is still closing itself within seconds of opening though. Are there any other fixes I can try?
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,315 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Apr-2011, 07:28 PM #5
Computer Specs
Member with 5,119 posts.

21-Apr-2011, 07:33 PM #6
I wonder if you have tried running an antivirus program scan, and also an anti malware program and anti spy program?
If you need a suggestion: here is what I use.
Anti Virus: Avast
Malware: Malwarebytes and Super Anti spyware.
All are free and available at www. majorgeeks.com or www.filehippo.com.
If you do dowload them be sure to update each before you run a scan.
Let us know how it goes.....
Vickie
Computer Specs
Member with 187 posts.

21-Apr-2011, 08:39 PM #7
Vickie: I run Avast as well and it updates 1-2 times a day. I run a full weekly scan (also run a quick scan at the start of the week) with it also and have not had a virus in a long time I also run Spybot and keep it up to date and run two weekly scans also but I only have the usual cookies that come up.

Phantom: I followed the instructions and tried to open it with no add-ons and it still closes within seconds. It doesn't give any kind of error or anything. It doesn't even load the first page (by default in 7 I had it set as about:blank and I don't know if that carried over or not). The tab says "Connecting...." and then a few seconds later the browser closes. The internet does not respond when I open the browser though so I don't know what it's trying to load LoL
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,315 posts.

21-Apr-2011, 08:47 PM #8
Try rebooting into Safe Mode with Networking and try IE8 again.

To boot into Safe Mode, follow the instructions HERE. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu, choose Safe Mode with Networking.
Computer Specs
Member with 187 posts.

21-Apr-2011, 09:30 PM #9
No luck with a Safe Boot either, still did the same thing
Junior Member with 1 posts.

03-May-2011, 06:14 PM #10
IE Closes With Certian Add-Ons
Hello,
i just spent some time trying to fix internet explorer. IT WAS TERRIBLE..... what you want to do is try running it without add-ons. if it works and doesnt crash you have to go through all your add-ons and find the one that is crashing you ie session. Go to start> all programs> Accessories> system tools> internet explorer (without add-ons). that should work.

Computer Specs
Member with 187 posts.

03-May-2011, 07:41 PM #11
Hi Jweily,

I don't use any extra add-ons for IE. I only use the program for a couple sites that don't let me use any other browser. The only add-ons would be whatever comes with the base program itself.

Somebody suggested running it without add-ons earlier and I did try but it still closes out seconds after opening
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!