Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows updates. All-u-can-eat HDD

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: i found the 'on' switch!
01-Jun-2011, 06:50 PM #1
Windows updates. All-u-can-eat HDD
Well i tried using microsoft's official forum site, but it gets way too flooded with new questions for anyone to see it - it got shoved out of sight almost immediately, so much for that.
Anyhow, the post on there was this...
I like the peace of mind that windows stays up to date for internet security reasons.
my laptop only has a little 200Gb HDD, i keep updates automatic and install the manual ones from time to time because i like to keep my computer's OS and anti-virus up-to-date. I can understand a new tool, or a must have new-and-improved OS application that's a few Mb's bigger than the older version from time to time, but when an update is 100, 200 or just recently 300Mb's... umm, okay... you're just replacing what needs to be replaced right, and not making a OS frankenstein project of my hard drive untill i need a bigger space to fit it?
Is it really piling the XXX amount of Mb's on the hard drive that cannot be deleted just to keep it up-to-date, or replacing the existing file(s) that are out-of-date so the space remains about the same? Because if its just accumualting then someone would have to keep getting a bigger hard drive and why should someone have to do that just to keep it up to date?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,477 posts.

01-Jun-2011, 07:38 PM #2
The update files are downloaded to a temp folder, so don't stick around long. A small uninstaller is kept--unless you delete it--but otherwise the only extra space is if the update is an addition or is larger than what it's replacing.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: i found the 'on' switch!
01-Jun-2011, 08:48 PM #3
ok, phew. thanks. thats what i figured, but it was the 300mb update that freaked me out. im sure that uninstaller app is still there, i don't think i would mess with that. is there a way i can check to make sure its still there?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
diskspace, microsoft, update, windows

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!