Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

.lnk extensions on desktop and .exe opens with Itunes

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

27-Jun-2011, 02:31 PM #1
Question .lnk extensions on desktop and .exe opens with Itunes
I need some help please! All the .exe files on my friend's laptop try to open with itunes and all the icons on her desktop show up as .lnk Adobe files! I tried to upload malwarebytes from both a flash drive and then a cd, but her laptop corrupted those too. Itunes is the only .exe file that will open. I do not have the "open with" option on .exe files. Please!!!! I know how to edit registry a little (going in at c prompt), but I don't know what I'm looking for. Again, I will have to enter everything manually--- I cannot download from internet or upload from external source Thanks!!
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,242 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Jun-2011, 05:54 PM #2
I suggest you find a way to download and run the following registry fixes:

http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/lnk_fix_w7.zip
http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/exe_fix_w7.zip

If you say you can't download them because you cannot reach Internet explorer, try pressing Windows + R to bring up the Run dialogue and then typing
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
to load internet explorer.

I'm assuming that you're using Windows 7 based on the forum you chose; please advise if this is not the case.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

28-Jun-2011, 10:38 AM #3
Red face Itunes interference
It's not that I cannot get to Internet Explorer; it's that every time I try to open an .exe file, the computer opens Itunes and tries to open it with it.
I tried the run command in regular mode and nothing happened, so I looked at the task manager and had between 175 and 290 explorer.exe open.
Then I tried Safe Mode, it tried to opened with Itunes and had around 25 processes.
Tried Regular Mode again and it opened Itunes again with 290+ processes again.
Jennifer has McAfee on the computer, but of course when I scanned it McAfee found nothing wrong.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
.exe, .lnk, adobe, itunes

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!