Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Mouse / Touchpad doesn't work on startup

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 50 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Jul-2011, 01:49 PM #1
Mouse / Touchpad doesn't work on startup
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional , 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7450 @ 2.13GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 4095 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 51199 MB, Free - 13667 MB; D: Total - 194559 MB, Free - 130069 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. , G50VT , 1.0 , BSN12345678901234567
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Occasionally, my laptop's touchpad won't work on start-up. This does not happen all the time, it appears to happen every other boot. I can plug a USB mouse at any moment and have that work fine. This also only happens on Windows 7 from what I can tell, as I dual-boot with Ubuntu and Ubuntu has never given me this problem before. I can also use safe mode with Windows 7 and have the touchpad function fine all the time.

If I look into the device manager when the touchpad is unresponsive, it will say that the PS/2 mouse failed to start.

I've updated it to the most recent driver as found here:
http://www.synaptics.com/support/drivers

But this problem still persists. Any ideas how I can figure out what's wrong?
Member with 1,654 posts.

13-Jul-2011, 09:38 PM #2
head back to ASUSTeK Computer Inc get the drivers for the mother board..
Computer Specs
Member with 50 posts.

14-Jul-2011, 09:47 AM #3
Already did so. They haven't update my drivers since '09, which was before the last time I had to reformat and re-install all the drivers.

The mouse driver on their page also says it's an older version than the one I have installed.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,068 posts.

Experience: Still Learning....
15-Jul-2011, 03:43 PM #4
Did you check Mouse Properties????
Computer Specs
Member with 50 posts.

15-Jul-2011, 08:10 PM #5
Yes. Device Manager says the device failed to start. There's not much more to it then that.

Of course, everything looks fine when the touchpad is working.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,068 posts.

16-Jul-2011, 03:07 PM #6
Did you try updating the drivers manually? Also try searching more about the mouse drivers from the internet.
Computer Specs
Member with 50 posts.

16-Jul-2011, 03:15 PM #7
I can assure you I have tried several different mouse drivers related to my board or the Synaptic touchpad. Everything was done manually, I've never updated my drivers with any automatic process.

If anything, this almost seems like some kind of power cycling issue. Every other boot the mouse works fine, and the other times the driver fails to load.

Just recently, I've noticed that about a fourth of the bootups also have a failing keyboard and graphics driver (screen appears fuzzier than usual). Either all the drivers work or some will fail on boot-up.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,068 posts.

17-Jul-2011, 04:11 PM #8
Just a suggestion, can you re-install the OS (or, if possible make it dual boot with another OS other than Windows 7 Proffessional)..... Some time back the same problem occured in my desktop.... But then I had been using XP. When I re-installed the OS the problem was not there. Now I am having a dual boot with XP and 7 & all drivers work just fine.
Computer Specs
Member with 50 posts.

19-Jul-2011, 11:48 AM #9
Re-installing the OS takes a lot of time (especially if I intend to back everything up). I don't think I could afford a day without my machine for a while, so I'm not going to do that any time soon.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,068 posts.

20-Jul-2011, 05:29 AM #10
I understand..... Asus probably provides on-site warranty. So you might like contacting the authorized service centre in that case.... That way, you don't have to go anywhere to get your computer repaired.....
But it may need some time, afterall you are spending some time in this forum too to get your machine back to normal functionality....

Best of luck!!!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!