Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Reinstalling Windows 7

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

16-Jul-2011, 09:44 PM #1
Unhappy Reinstalling Windows 7
I got a HP G60-530US notebook a year or two ago and it came with Windows 7 Premium (64 bit) already loaded on it. Sadly this was after they stopped sending OS cd's with the computers. Anyways one day I got the smart idea to install Ubuntu and actually kept with it until version 11.04 ("Natty Narwhal"). Now I would like to go back to Windows...very badly.

I would like to know how to go about reinstalling Windows 7 after having another system clear out and make it's own partitions and whatnot (Ubuntu). But the installation of Windows 7 should have options to deal with that during the installation itself. If this is just not legally possible is there a way that I can get my product key and contact microsoft? If not, are disks for the OS free (since I paid for the system and consequently the OS that was loaded on the system) if I were to contact Microsoft? And if worst comes to worst, anyone know how much Windows 7 costs :'/?
Computer Specs
Member with 11,370 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Jul-2011, 09:58 PM #2
The factory recovery discs are not free. You should have made recovery discs from the start menu before you installed Ubuntu. You can purchase a set of the recovery Discs directly from HP for a nominal fee, something like $25 or $30. And they will restore your computer to Factory Software.
Computer Specs

16-Jul-2011, 10:01 PM #3
This is the cost of a Retail Copy of Win7 Home Premium http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116716
Junior Member with 2 posts.

16-Jul-2011, 10:01 PM #4
Alright then. That's what I was fearing...but hey 25-30 dollars isn't that much so all isn't lost. Thanks for the answer. (:
Computer Specs

16-Jul-2011, 10:04 PM #5
Just go to the Driver Download site for your model, the option to purchase the Recovery Media is actually in the list of Drivers and Downloads. Be aware they will mail or ship it to you. It only cost me $2 for mailing and I had it 6 business days.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 57,937 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Jul-2011, 10:36 AM #6
Here is the support site for the HP G60-530US laptop/notebook.

If you live in the United States or Canada, you can order the recovery disc kit from here - if it's still available.

You can also order it from here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,224 posts.

17-Jul-2011, 10:58 AM #7
This is a modified quote from the HP site.

Quote:
You could try the HP Recovery Manager if it is operational, Power the computer on, and then press and hold f11 during startup. If the Recovery Manager is operational, it should display a prompt to either "recover the operating system from files stored on the recovery partition" Or "create a set of recovery discs which does not require the purchase of a replacement recovery disc"
As you have installed Ubuntu, this most likely destroyed the default HP MBR and as which will not give you access to the HP Recovery Manager.

Give it a GO anyway.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
installation, operating system, reinstall, ubuntu, windows 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!