Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

System Restore to Factory Settings, Compaq Windows 7,

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Jul-2011, 11:45 PM #1
System Restore to Factory Settings, Compaq Windows 7,
First of all,
System Info:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 64 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 240 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2815 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 466725 MB, Free - 396011 MB; D: Total - 10111 MB, Free - 1514 MB;
Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, Narra6, 6.01, 103245190004127
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Now, my problem:

I need to do a factory restore just for the simple pleasure of having my PC act like new again.

My original post copied from a different tech support forum that did NOT help me:

How do I go about doing this?

Do I, make note of the programs I need to re-install?
Then go to Computer > D: > Recovery?

-------------------------------------
Screenshots:

My Computer

Inside of FACTORY_IMAGE (D
------------------------------------

All I have to do is run the : Recovery
program correct?
-----------------------------------
I've already gotten an audit of my PC, so I have all the keys to the programs I own.

Are there any problems that can be foreseen? Or that might happen? I'm really afraid of problems that there is a chance I can't fix.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm really afraid of getting any problems. This is an expensive computer and I do not have the money to get a new one.
Please help!

Also I think I have a virus because there is a locked folder in my C: drive with a file inside of it that says setup.exe.

I cannot delete it, not with MBytes, and I've even booted into Safe Mode with networking, The password to the famous 'hidden' administrator account is beyond me, and I'd like to know what I can do about it.

Thanks!!!!!!!
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

16-Jul-2011, 11:55 PM #2
The recovery partition will return your machine to the original factory state. It will delete the locked folder unless it was part of the original installation.
If you have any data to save, make a copy before you start. Some restore programs are "non-destructive" and will save this data if requested.
After the restore you'll need to install all your programs and visit windows update until your OS is up to date.
When all is satisfactory, use Window backup and restore to create a new image on an external drive, and your next recovery will be much easier and faster
Computer Specs

16-Jul-2011, 11:57 PM #3
So just put everything i need to save on a flash drive, and run the recovery partition?

Also, sorry kind of brain dead atm, how do I open windows update to do ALL of the updates?

And how do I Restore and create a new image? I do not have an external drive.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

17-Jul-2011, 12:06 AM #4
This would be an excellent time to invest in an external drive to simplify all these tasks. Backing up data on a regular basis is critical to modern computing. You could use cloud storage, flash drives or optical media as well.

For Windows update, just visit the site repeatedly until no more critical updates are offered. Optional updates are up to you.
Windows backup and restore will also offer a chance to create a recovery disk, and your Computer maker has probably included an option to make recovery disks.
Computer Specs

17-Jul-2011, 12:08 AM #5
I don't have the money for an external drive as of right now, can I still do the factory restore? Will I come across any problems?
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

17-Jul-2011, 12:10 AM #6
I can't predict what will happen, but this is usually a painless process.
Computer Specs

17-Jul-2011, 12:13 AM #7
Oh boy.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
computer, help--problems, problem, restore, system

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!