Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Lost disk space after moving partition

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Jul-2011, 03:35 AM #1
Lost disk space after moving partition
Hi, I shrank my D partition in 30 GB so i could increase my C(system) partition.
As the free allotted space was on the right side of D: I moved D with Partition Wizard, but after doing it only 80 MB of free space were at the left of D (;right of C) where was my space gone? 28.2 GB!! How can I fix It?
I use win 7 with a 640 GB HDD. Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 291 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Jul-2011, 03:51 AM #2
I don't really understand what you're saying. Could you put up a screenshot of your Computer window so we can see it in more detail?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
19-Jul-2011, 04:15 AM #3
Chances are it is still in the original partition unless there is unallocated space elsewhere.
Computer Specs

19-Jul-2011, 09:41 AM #4
Hi, thanks for your reply, so I will explain it again. I shrank D (documents) 30GB, The free space was then at the left of D in the disk management graphic but I couldln't transfer it to C with disk management so I used Partition Wizard software to move the free space to the right of D so Icould expand C 30 MG. But surprise! After the move the free space was only 80 MB so I expanded C in 80 GB. The total sum of the space in each partition is 596 GB but i have a 640 GB HDD so I'm missing 44GB. Here is the screenshot.
Computer Specs

19-Jul-2011, 09:43 AM #5
Hi, elvandil, yes, I can't se no uallocated space in disk management, how coul I recover the lost space?
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Jul-2011, 10:36 AM #6
596.17 GB is the proper "show" size for a 640 GB drive. A 750 GB drive shows as 698.63 and 1 TB, 931.51. Two different techniques for measuring size accounts for the discrepency, unfortunately.

Hard to tell what happened exactly when you shrank and moved stuff around but Documents is now E (was D before?) and your recovery partition is too small to be a recovery partition for Win 7, and was the 10.91 GB partition there before? If there's nothing on the 10.91 you might still be able to delete that and then move the 507.73 to the far right so you could then add the 10.91 that will then be right next to the right side of the 76.06 partition.

Do you have recovery discs? You would probably need those to get back the original recovery partition but that would also reset you system to factory settings so you'd want to image the 76.06 and 507.73 GB partitions (also the 10.91 if there's data there) so you could restore them to custum sized partitions after the recovery and 2nd round of repartitioning.
Computer Specs

19-Jul-2011, 12:26 PM #7
Hi fairnooks, thanks for your answer. Are you sure that having 46GB missing is normal? I really dont remember what was the total sum of my partitions, but i do remember the two system partitions were there at the beginning. After some research in Toshiba forums (this is a Toshiba sattellite A665) It seems that the 1.46Gb has some recovery utilities and the 10.91 gb partition is the windows 7 and factory settings recovery. Im really not interested in delelting these partitions I only wanted to transfer some space from E(sorry the D was mi mistake) to C(system), so I suppose I will try it again.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,350 posts.

19-Jul-2011, 02:23 PM #8
When hard drive manufacturers say Gigabyte it refers to 1000 x 1000 x1000 = 1,000,000,000 bytes.

When most computer programs say Gigabyte it refers to 1024 x 1024 x 1024 = 1,073,741,824 bytes.

Thus, your drive manufacturer sells you 640 GB, but your computer tells you it's 596 GB.

Nothing was lost. Just extremely confusing different terminology. Here's another way to say what fairnooks and I are trying to explain: CODING HORROR
Computer Specs

19-Jul-2011, 02:56 PM #9
Why hadn't I come to this forum before? Now i understand you perfectly guys. 640000000000 bytes /1024 then/1024 then /1024 is 596,04 Real Gigabytes. Thank you.
Now I will move the E partition again. Any precautions to be have besides backing up the Data? Can Page File settings interfere in the move?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

19-Jul-2011, 02:58 PM #10
If you moved the location of any system files to E:\, those need to be moved backed to C:\.
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,221 posts.

19-Jul-2011, 03:16 PM #11
Awesome link TerryNet. I particularly like the one at the end of the article

Quote:
Hard drive manufacturers won't use them. Drive manufacturers don't care about being correct. What they do care about is consumers buying their drives because they have the largest possible number plastered on the front of the box. If a big lawsuit wasn't enough to get them to mend their ways, I seriously doubt that the recommendation of an international standards body is going to sway them.

Anyway, just wanted to comment on that.

"Yotta getta life".
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,350 posts.

19-Jul-2011, 04:03 PM #12
Quote:
"Yotta getta life".
Too dang hot and humid here now to worry about a life. I'll just continue to hang here and try to stay cool.
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Jul-2011, 08:09 PM #13
Besides backups, I would try and tackle it in stages. See if you can shrink the 507 GB partition down first. Then move the partition to the right so the unallocated space you freed up will be right next to C. Finally extend the C partition to gobble up the unallocated space.

There shouldn't be any immovable objects but I don't play with Extended/logical disk partition much either so I'm not exactly familiar in the specifics of how one of those shrinks down. Less likely for something to wrong if done in stages as well.
Member with 1,689 posts.

19-Jul-2011, 09:37 PM #14
My 2 cents:

Your "logical" (E) partition is contained within an "extended" partition of the same size. Logical partitions can only exist within extended partitions.

Windows disk management doesn't easily manipulate these types of partitions. So a 3rd party partition manager is recommended. I use GParted, however the specific tool doesn't really matter.

It looks like you've got about 200Gigs of data on your E partition, so whatever you do, you have to move all that data to the right.

1) I would start by sliding the left end of E to the right so you get the 30Gigs (or whatever you need) remaining as "unallocated" space within the extended partition. This will take quite a bit of time as it has to move the 200 Gigs of data.

2) Then, slide the left end of the surrounding "extended" partition to the right so it's now the same size as the "logical" partition. This will only take seconds as all the data has already been moved.

3) Now slide the right end of your C partition to incorporate all of the 30Gigs of unallocated space. This also will take only seconds.

Done. Reboot.

Something to think about. If there's a chance you might want more than one "logical" to be contained within your "extended", now's the time to do that.

Also, these kinds of partition manipulations can and do go wrong. So a wise man backs up the needed data.
Computer Specs

19-Jul-2011, 10:39 PM #15
Hi guys, thanks for your responses. Yes I will try to do the move with partition wizard, but I dont know if you can slide the partitions with it as you tell me DVOM, i suppose Gparted works that way. How is your experience with that app? I like to keep it simple so i use one partition for system and programs and other for files, but I'm not so expert. I'm working recording audio,so is there any reason I shoud desire another partition DVOM? Thanks again.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!