Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Lock/Unlock Icon In Middle Of Screen - HowTo Remove ?

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Aug-2011, 07:03 PM #1
Lock/Unlock Icon In Middle Of Screen - HowTo Remove ?
hi, I have a strange problem .... a flashing lock/unlock icon (padlock which alternates form locked to unlocked) shows in the middle of my screen. The machine was built a few years back and hasn't changed significantly since then The symptom has just begun today - Sat Aug 6 my time) and only impacts Windows. The Linux install on this machine is unaffected I'm running Windows 7, with Office 7, both activated successfully (also running Open Office and Libre Office which were upgraded last week) I recently changed video card, about 3 weeks back suspect this is related to some sort of Microsoft security issue can't find any references on the web ... cant generate a screen shot (which suggests this is being inflicted by Windows itself) even with bitmap capture eg. snippy the icon is a very basic black and white padlock shape that stays right in the middle of the screen, is partly transparent and is visible no matter what programs are running - full screen games or windows applications I'm at my wits end with this ... no idea what's causing it or how to remove it any advice would be most welcome

05-Aug-2011, 07:30 PM #2
oops. my own stupid fault .. after spending 3 hours on this it turns out it was a monitor error - why it only related to Windows I have no idea
Computer Specs
Member with 154 posts.

Experience: Beginner
05-Aug-2011, 07:36 PM #3
Does it look like this?

eta: looks like you've sorted it out

05-Aug-2011, 11:10 PM #4
yes ..thats the one fixed by pushing button on the monitor
Junior Member with 2 posts.

23-Aug-2011, 03:56 AM #5
I have this same problem, can you tell me what to do to get rid of this annoying thing in the middle of my screen!! What button on my monitor do I press?
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,234 posts.

23-Aug-2011, 11:38 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertsmum View Post
I have this same problem, can you tell me what to do to get rid of this annoying thing in the middle of my screen!! What button on my monitor do I press?
Change your resolution to another setting, apply it and then change it back. This is as per maltasama link. I personally have never had this issue.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

23-Aug-2011, 05:29 PM #7
I forgot to say that I have already tried that. The lock/unlock picture comes back after about 1 minute.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!