Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

windows 7 & android

(!)

Member with 580 posts.

15-Aug-2011, 11:26 AM #1
windows 7 & android
I have just acquired anAcer SPIRE NET BOOK WITH WINdows 7 starter and with android.My grandson informs me that Android is another operating system .What are the advantages/disadvantages of Android versus windows? I have installed microsoft security essentials but I assume it only works for windows.w hat kind of security programme would one need for Android?
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
15-Aug-2011, 11:29 AM #2
I don't think you can install security essentials if it is not a Windows OS. I think AVG has one.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

15-Aug-2011, 11:47 AM #3
Do you plan to boot into Android? Does it have Android Marketplace? There are a few security apps available there that claim to protect against malware in malicious apps. You definitely can't install any Windows programs including Security Essentials. The best thing to do is be very careful about what you install from Marketplace.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Aug-2011, 10:11 PM #4
I use Lookout, free version.
https://www.mylookout.com/
Member with 580 posts.

16-Aug-2011, 06:06 AM #5
Thanks I will get lookout as you suggest but what are the advantages/disadvantages of android as compared with windows 7 starter
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

16-Aug-2011, 06:30 AM #6
What model do you have? You may not be able to get Lookout.
"Android is a smartphone operating system developed by Google that is meant to make communications and Web browsing easy, especially on Google sites such as YouTube and Google Maps. The majority of netbooks today use Microsoft's Windows XP."

16-Aug-2011, 07:16 AM #7
Hughv, the poster has Android on a netbook, not a phone.

Android and Windows 7 are completely different with entirely different purposes. Android was installed as a quick-boot OS so you can quickly check your e-mail or a web site without having to wait to boot into Windows.

You won't be using Android all the time.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

16-Aug-2011, 07:57 AM #8
I know that:"The majority of netbooks today use Microsoft's Windows XP"
Some models of this Netbook have crippled the updating capability.

16-Aug-2011, 09:07 AM #9
And some netbooks have both Windows XP and Android installed. That's what the poster has.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

16-Aug-2011, 09:16 AM #10
I know that. I looked this netbok up so I would know what I'm talking about.
This poster has Win7 and Andoid installed as you could see had you read the first post.
I'm answering the questions posed by the OP, but I'm not sure what you're doing.,
Member with 580 posts.

17-Aug-2011, 07:53 AM #11
so the gist of what you are saying is that when travelling for example, use android for email and websurfing for speed but otherwise go back to windows.Have I got that right?
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

17-Aug-2011, 08:29 AM #12
Not necessarily.
How does the Android OS connect to the 'net? Is it 3G, and do you need to subscribe ?
Tell us the model number and we might be able to figure out what this (new) beast can do.

17-Aug-2011, 09:42 AM #13
It's just an optional environment to provide quick-boot access to e-mail/web. You can use it or not whenever you'd like.

I just installed the Android 2.2 build on a VM, and the Android Market is not available, and Lookout couldn't be installed. If you're only going to use Android minimally for e-mail/web, I wouldn't worry about finding a security app. They primarily protect against the installation of malicious apps. The environment appears to be designed to prevent that from the start.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!