Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Occurs during shut down

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Aug-2011, 07:05 PM #1
the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Occurs during shut down
I have a problem that occurs only during shut down only. When I select Shut Down I soon get a pop up that says....the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142) Click OK to close the application. the label on the window is cmd.exe. Whether I click on the window or not, the shut down proceeds and eventually after say 30 seconds the alert disapears and the laptop shuts down. clicking on the alert simply brings up another alert. All this only occurs during shut down only. Also, I have no problem running cmd.exe during normal operation, or any other program run from the command window. I have read a number of posts but do not see anything exactly like this, that is happening during shut down.

Suggestions would be appreciated. Eric

Here is the TSG SysInfo

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional , 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9600 @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 8088 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 , 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 293742 MB, Free - 148657 MB; F: Total - 305242 MB, Free - 181971 MB; G: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 263579 MB; H: Total - 305242 MB, Free - 284805 MB; Q: Total - 9999 MB, Free - 1736 MB; S: Total - 1499 MB, Free - 836 MB;
Motherboard: LENOVO, 4058CTO, Not Available, VF28Z96BR5S
Antivirus: AVG Internet Security, Updated and Enabled
Junior Member with 25 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Aug-2011, 12:26 AM #2
It might be a program running some extra stuff.

Try a clean boot to disable all programs that run at startup.
Then shut it down to see if the issue re-appears, I thinking it probably won't, from that point you can try to narrow it down to one program by enabling them 1 by 1 on the startup/services tab on the msconfig.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!