Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Laptop to Tv via HDMI issue (was not a problem with Vista)

(!)

Member with 29 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-Sep-2011, 11:38 PM #1
Unhappy Solved: Laptop to Tv via HDMI issue (was not a problem with Vista)
Hello,

I've recently upgraded from Windows Vista 23bit to Windows 7 64bit, but I've already hit a few snags. I tried watching a show on Hulu on my tv via an HDMI cord, but the resolution between the two was an issue. The screen on my laptop appeared normal but the screen on the tv was very small, taking up only half the screen size. I tried adjusting the resolution on my laptop to see if any of them would fit better, but none of them worked. It would also produce a pop-up that said the compatible resolution is 1280x768 but even that one was too small.

The tv itself is an "iSymphony LC26iH56 26-Inch 720p LCD HDTV.

The problem with all of this is that being able to do this was the whole reason I bought the tv. I do not have cable, which is why I use Hulu, and to come across this problem now is more than a little frustrating. It worked fine when I had Vista, a little annoying sure since it would sometimes drop the picture or audio, but it worked well after some tweaking....

Any help is MUCH appreciated!!

Last edited by Shadowsden89; 04-Sep-2011 at 12:07 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,403 posts.

04-Sep-2011, 11:37 AM #2
I doubt that I can help much, as I think that the success of this depends not only on the OS but also the computer and TV. Is your problem only with Hulu?

I connect my Windows 7 64-bit by HDMI to my TV and the screen resolution automatically changes to that of the TV (I think 1280x768) and the laptop's screen is duplicated on the TV and the sound goes to the TV (after I learned to set the HDMI to be the sound default). Haven't tried Hulu with it, but I then choose my MLB baseball game, select full-screen, and the TV picture is full screen as if I were watching an actual broadcast.
Member with 29 posts.

04-Sep-2011, 12:04 PM #3
The problem is with the entire screen, not just Hulu.

I am going to try and post a photo.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,394 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Sep-2011, 01:19 PM #4
Have you tried the Format Adjustments on the TV itself? I have to adjust mine when I use my laptop on my 60" DLP. If I don't the display will only fill about 2/3 of the screen. I also have lower the resolution to just below the Max Recommended resolution to keep my Desktop Icons from being cut off on the sides when I do this.
Member with 29 posts.

04-Sep-2011, 01:26 PM #5
Yup, I've tried that too. But it only has two options in "Aspects" on the menu... 16x9 and "Normal" which is even smaller.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hdmi, issue, laptop, television, windows7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!