Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

IE 9 blank screen

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Sep-2011, 05:13 AM #1
IE 9 blank screen
I am using Windows 7 and IE 9.

I got a message to download an update to IE 10 and clicked the link. Now when I open IE, the screen is entirely white.

There are links, but they are white letters on white background. I know there are links because when I move the cursor over one, I see the link in the highlighted window.

The latest version is not in the Control Panel, so I cannot remove it. When I try to install IE 9, the message is "The is a more current version installed, cannot install IE 9"
I have run virus scan and get no errors.
Gouthaman Gouthaman is offline Gouthaman has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 139 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Sep-2011, 05:23 AM #2
IE10 is not even in BETA yet (they have a platform preview if i'm correct) and the message that you got to download an update to IE10 isn't legit, I think.

I've had the white letters in white background problem in certain websites and it'll be awesome to know a solution.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,374 posts.

06-Sep-2011, 10:19 AM #3
You need to go to

Control Panel
Programs And Features
View Installed Updates

then scroll down to

Microsoft Windows

then right-click the IE10 entry and uninstall it.

------------------------------------------------------

Who and where did you get a message from to download and install IE10?

------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

07-Sep-2011, 07:48 PM #4
IE still blank
If only it were that easy. That's the first thing I tried. Control Panel has no listing for IE of any version to uninstall. There are windows driver packages listed, but nothing else for windows.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

07-Sep-2011, 08:57 PM #5
Did you go to View Installed Updates? Did you look through the entire list of updates under Microsoft Windows? I have Windows 7 with SP1 installed, and there are 51 updates installed on this computer. Internet Explorer 9 is listed as Windows Internet Explorer 9.

If it's not listed there, and it may not be, that would be because there is no Internet Explorer 10. I'm thinking there may be a virus making the rounds calling itself Internet Explorer 10.

It would help if you could specify exactly where you were prompted to download this. It certainly wasn't through Windows Update.
Computer Specs

07-Sep-2011, 09:39 PM #6
Trying to uninstall it. I looked through all the list of updates under Windows.
I did find an entry for IE9 and uninstalled it. Went through the restart process and installed IE9 and restarted. IE9 is still blank.
Under Windows, there are a LOT of entries, only one for IE9, no other versions of IE.
I did a virus scan and all is okay. I use Microsoft Security Essentials.
I do not remember what site prompted me to install IE10. I know that was stupid.

I looked through all the most recent installs in the Control Panel. They are either Microsoft Visual C++, Security Update for Microsoft .NET, or Service Pack updates.

I was able to install Firefox which is how I get to this site.

Now I supposedly have IE9, but screen is still white on white.
Will try uninstall again.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

08-Sep-2011, 08:51 AM #7
Let's see what's installed and auto-loading, and if any obvious issues need to be addressed.

Go here and click the green "Download latest version" link to download and save HiJackThis 2.0.4.

After it's been downloaded and saved, close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to install it.

Allow it to install in its default location - C:\Program Files.

After it's been installed, start it and then click "Do a system scan and save a log file".

When the scan is finished in less than 30 seconds, a log file will appear.

Save that log file.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire log file here.

-------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

08-Sep-2011, 08:43 PM #8
Did all that, but it will not leave a log file. Comes up with an error:
"For some reason your system denied write access to the Hosts file."
Computer Specs

09-Sep-2011, 08:07 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilwelch View Post
Did all that, but it will not leave a log file. Comes up with an error:
"For some reason your system denied write access to the Hosts file."
Go to Control Panel - User Accounts.

Click "Change user account control settings".

Move the slider down to "Never notify", then click OK.

Restart the computer.

HiJackThis should work okay now.

----------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

09-Sep-2011, 08:15 AM #10
Thank you . That worked for HiJackThis. Also, I finally got IE9 removed, reinstalled it and it was still blank screen. I removed it again and now have IE8 running normally.
Here is the log file:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 8:15:41 AM, on 9/9/2011
Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7601.17514)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Garmin\gStart.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\ANT Agent\ANT Agent.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\Nero PhotoShow 4\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Corel\Corel PhotoDownloader\Corel Photo Downloader.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\AOL Desktop 9.6a\waol.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\AOL\1293291659\ee\aolsoftware.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\PDF Create! 5\PdfCreate5Hook.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Real\RealPlayer\Update\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\AOL Desktop 9.6a\shellmon.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = Preserve
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Nuance PDF - {E3286BF1-E654-42FF-B4A6-5E111731DF6B} - C:\Program Files (x86)\PDF Create! 5\bin\ZeonIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\AOL\1293291659\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDFHook] C:\Program Files (x86)\PDF Create! 5\pdfcreate5hook.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDF5 Registry Controller] C:\Program Files (x86)\PDF Create! 5\RegistryController.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Nuance PDF Create! 5-reminder] "C:\Program Files (x86)\PDF Create! 5\Ereg\Ereg.exe" -r "C:\ProgramData\Nuance\PDF Create! 5\Ereg\Ereg.ini"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PaperPort PTD] C:\Program Files (x86)\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndexSearch] C:\Program Files (x86)\ScanSoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Real\RealPlayer\update\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Corel File Shell Monitor] c:\Program Files (x86)\Corel\Corel PaintShop Photo Pro\X3\PSPClassic\CorelIOMonitor.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [gStart] C:\Garmin\gStart.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ANT Agent] C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\ANT Agent\ANT Agent.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Nero PhotoShow Media Manager] C:\PROGRA~2\Nero\NEROPH~1\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LightScribe Control Panel] C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe -hidden
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Corel Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Corel\Corel PhotoDownloader\Corel Photo Downloader.exe" -startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AOL Fast Start] "C:\Program Files (x86)\AOL Desktop 9.6a\AOL.EXE" -b
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\progra~2\speedb~1\sblsp.dll
O16 - DPF: Garmin Communicator Plug-In - https://static.garmincdn.com/gcp/ie/...nAxControl.CAB
O16 - DPF: {0D41B8C5-2599-4893-8183-00195EC8D5F9} (asusTek_sysctrl Class) - http://support.asus.com/common/asusTek_sys_ctrl.cab
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - AOL LLC - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Intuit Update Service (IntuitUpdateService) - Intuit Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit\Update Service\IntuitUpdateService.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Nero BackItUp Scheduler 4.0 - Nero AG - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nero\Nero BackItUp 4\NBService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Protexis Licensing V2 (PSI_SVC_2) - Protexis Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Protexis\License Service\PsiService_2.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: VideoAcceleratorService - Speedbit Ltd. - C:\PROGRA~2\SPEEDB~1\VideoAcceleratorService.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 10226 bytes
Computer Specs

09-Sep-2011, 08:35 AM #11
Glad to hear you got IE8 running smoothly.

--------------------------------------------------------

You're using America Online(AOL)?

Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

09-Sep-2011, 08:42 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavallee View Post
Glad to hear you got IE8 running smoothly.

You're using America Online(AOL)?

That would explain the "IE 10" misunderstanding. AOL Desktop 10.1 is available. AOL Desktop does not change the version of Internet Explorer.
Computer Specs

09-Sep-2011, 09:07 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
That would explain the "IE 10" misunderstanding. AOL Desktop 10.1 is available. AOL Desktop does not change the version of Internet Explorer.
Yep, you're right. I thought the latest version was 9.6 until I checked further and found 10.1.

There's no way that I'd put AOL in a computer.

---------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

09-Sep-2011, 09:10 AM #14
Did not see anything in the HijackThis log to help.
Had AOL for years, no problems. Understand some don't like it, but it helped me get to internet when IE9 issue started.
I apparently downloaded something bad impersonating IE. I am using IE8 and Firefox with no problems, cannot get IE9. Will call this solved for now. Thanks for your help.
Computer Specs

09-Sep-2011, 09:21 AM #15
If you want to consider this thread solved, that's fine.

The 64-bit version of Windows 7 doesn't allow all the log entries to display or to display properly in HiJackThis, so it's difficult to get a true picture of that computer.

Do you have an antivirus program and any other security-related programs installed in that computer?

Start HiJackThis, but don't run a scan.

Click on the "Open The Misc Tools Section" button.

Click on the "Open Uninstall Manager" button.

Click on the "Save List" button.

Save the "uninstall_list.txt" file somewhere.

It'll then open in Notepad.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire file here.

-----------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
blank screen, ie 9 blank screen, ie error

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!