Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Physical Memory suddenly shot up and made laptop very slow! svchost.exe problem?HELP!

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-Sep-2011, 10:32 PM #1
Physical Memory suddenly shot up and made laptop very slow! svchost.exe problem?HELP!
Hey, as mentioned in the title, the amount of RAM my laptop was using has suddenly shot up from around 10% up to 50%-60%.

This causes massive problems as one of the music software programmes i use for my work generally uses around 40% of the RAM to run, now before; this was fine, but as the memory now is so high when I run the programme the used RAM is over 90% and the latency goes through the roof which makes it impossible to run.

I did some digging on the internet and saw its a good idea to run the Resource Manager programme to check what is taking up all the memory all of a sudden.
The top file is a file named svchost.exe (LocalSystemNetworkRestricted), and there are others on there all named svchost.exe. apparently some think this is some sort a virus and seems to be a solved by going into the task manager and finding what services this process is running and shut them off, but the problem is that this process doesnt appear on the Task Manager, only on the Recourse Manager.

So basically if it is this file/process which is causing the problem I really need help getting rid of it. Iv checked for viruses using Kaspersky and Malwarebytes.
Iv also performed the Ccleaner.
The specs of my laptop are:

Toshiba satallite C650-152
around 300gb Harddrive
3GB ram
Intel i3 processor, around 2.3 GHz

Any help would be very much appreciated
Computer Specs
Member with 5,261 posts.

30-Sep-2011, 06:47 PM #2
Where did you find this Resouce Manager program? It's not part of Windows.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Computer Savvy
01-Oct-2011, 05:18 AM #3
He probably means Resource Monitor. It can be opened through taskmanager, through this button:

crwaite: svchost is the executable that hosts the services that run within your computers. There are multiple instances to accommodate services that need to be run on different levels, so seeing multiple of them is normal. However, if one of them starts hogging your computer and you think it might be a fake, you should right click on the executable in task manager, and select "open file location". If it's not in /Windows/system32, then you've got a problem. Otherwise, the cause for the lag is likely a service going haywire.
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 31,840 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Oct-2011, 01:34 PM #4
Superfetch is a service occasionally misbehaving on some computers. It's a service managed by one of your svchost.exe processes.

Press the Windows key + R to open a Run box.

Type services.msc.

Locate the Superfetch service, stop it and disable it. See if your CPU usage comes down.

Please read instructions and questions carefully, and reply in a timely manner... Thank you.

If your problem is solved, please click on the Mark Solved button.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
laptop, ram, slow, svchost.exe

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!