Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

help! weird font on all browsers but can't reset win7 default font?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Oct-2011, 09:16 AM #1
help! weird font on all browsers but can't reset win7 default font?
I've been struggling with an issue that I hope someone here can help resolve. A few weeks ago, I suddenly started seeing this ugly font (see images below) on many webpages.

I think this issue began right around the time I installed some other fonts, but I am not sure. Initially, I figured it was a Chrome thing but have since confirmed the issue extends to IE and Firefox, leading me to believe this is a Windows issue. By the time I tried to revert the changes via System Restore, it was too late (restore only went back a few days; maybe I need to adjust settings there?).

I tried to reset the default font but Windows does not seem to respond to that. When I click "Restore to default font settings" the button greys out but nothing else happens. No dialog box and no change in the issue.

Any ideas?

Member with 60 posts.

05-Oct-2011, 10:03 AM #2
One of my users has a similar issue except the strange font is happening to Excel 2007 as well as her browser, which is IE8. Her machine is a Wndows XP SP3 workstation and I just built it for her 3 months ago. The issue just started happening and based on your pictures, the weird fonts are similar. It has to the be something on her machine because when I forward the same Excel documents to myself, I don't have the issue.

I went to her Fonts folder and checked the fonts that the Excel doc is using, Calibri, and it looks fine. I checked them by just double clicking on them to see what it looks like. I even checked all the other major font types Times New Roman, Cambria, etc... and they all look fine. I haven't gone as far as replacing the font just yet, not sure if you tried that already.

There has got to be connection here. I'll keep digging around to see if I can come up with something.
Member with 60 posts.

06-Oct-2011, 10:53 AM #3
I'm seeing a lot of things regarding the hardware acceleration with the blurry fonts. And my user had to turn theirs off because it affected another program. Perhaps you need to look at this setting on your graphics card, there should be some sort of slider.
Junior Member with 21 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Oct-2011, 02:19 PM #4
Did you try system restore?
Computer Specs

01-Nov-2011, 08:26 AM #5
was not an option. system restore only goes back 4 days and by the time i thought of that, i was well past that time-frame.
Member with 60 posts.

01-Nov-2011, 10:27 AM #6
Check your hardware acceleration, see if you can try it with it on/off and see if that makes any difference.
leslie56 leslie56 is offline leslie56 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

01-Nov-2011, 10:34 AM #7
when you start system restore and you get to the window that shows your restore points, there is a another option with a check box in lower right corner that says "show more restore points." Checking that option will give you all of your restore points. How that helps.
Computer Specs

21-Nov-2011, 07:50 PM #8
@mvirata, i've tried but can't figure out how to disable hardware acceleration. i've got an ATI video card and can't find hardware acceleration in ATI's catalyst control center.
Computer Specs

21-Nov-2011, 07:51 PM #9
@leslie56 yup, tried that. clicking "show more restore points" only goes back 10 days so it was still too late.
Computer Specs

21-Nov-2011, 08:17 PM #10
i've tried "select all" and "show" on this screen:

i've also tried clicking "restore default font settings" here on several occasions, but it just greys out and nothing else happens.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!