Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows 7 update crash now getting recovering orphaned files

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Oct-2011, 10:34 AM #1
Angry Windows 7 update crash now getting recovering orphaned files
Rebootedmy laptop after latest Windows 7 updates. While closing it started installing latest service pack. Next time I looked at screen it had gone to a black screen scrolling white text. Each line is 'Recovering orphaned file xxxxx into directory xxxxx' has been doinng this continuously for an hour now with 2 or 3 occasional half second pauses. Any ideas what is happening and what I should do next?
Member with 2,634 posts.

Experience: I've been at this for too long.
12-Oct-2011, 12:23 PM #2
DO NOT MESS WITH IT!!!

IT is running chkdsk, which means your filesystem is corrupted.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Oct-2011, 12:36 PM #3
Thanks for that.

It eventually finished after running for 2 hours and reported that there were NO corrupt sectors or files. It then rebooted and installed Windows 7 SP1 and seems to be running fine. Bizarre!!
Member with 2,634 posts.

Experience: I've been at this for too long.
12-Oct-2011, 12:51 PM #4
Nothing bizarre about it. You had a corrupted filesystem because something happened (many possibilities) and you have not performed routine maintenance on the system - which involves running chkdsk periodically just to find and fix these things before they get out of hand.

Fortunately, the Windows updater has FINALLY become smart enough to check for that type of problem on its own. So it ran chkdsk BEFORE installing updates. If it had not done so, you might have wound up with an unbootable and unrecoverable system.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
orphaned file, service pack, windows 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!