Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Running 32 Bit Games on Win 7 Pro 64 Bit?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
25-Oct-2011, 10:08 PM #1
Thumbs down Running 32 Bit Games on Win 7 Pro 64 Bit?
I just upgraded from Win 7 Home Premium to Win 7 Professional. I am unable to run some games that used to run on Win XP in virtual XP Mode. There seems to be a problem running a 32-bit program. Can I somehow run 32 bit programs in my setup?

Last edited by TigerKen; 25-Oct-2011 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: Title misinterpreted
JennyJackson01   (Jenny) JennyJackson01 is offline JennyJackson01 has a Profile Picture
Member with 636 posts.

26-Oct-2011, 07:42 AM #2
Hiya Ken and welcome to TSG.

I`m not totally sure as I`m on an XP system at the moment but isn`t there an option to run programs or applications in compatibility mode by right-clicking on the programs exe, clicking Properties and then choosing another version of MS`s OS such as XP, 98 etc.

Jenny
Computer Specs
Member with 1,894 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Oct-2011, 11:40 AM #3
Confused. First, Windows 7 Home Premium doesn't have Virtual XP Mode, only Professional and above do.

Second, Windows 64-bit, has no problem running 32-bit program. In fact, most of the programs run by 64-bit Windows are 32-bit programs. In fact, I'll bet the browser you are using now is 32-bit. (It does have problems running 16-bit programs, however. Many installers for 32-bit programs are 16-bit.)

What program are you having problems with? Maybe we can help from there.
Member with 2,060 posts.

26-Oct-2011, 12:05 PM #4
Compatibility mode and XP mode are two different features. However, I even have some games that ran fine in XP and now do not run in 7 - even in compatibility mode. See if there are any patches available for your games. Go to the developers website and check for update patches for Windows 7.
JennyJackson01   (Jenny) JennyJackson01 is offline JennyJackson01 has a Profile Picture
Member with 636 posts.

27-Oct-2011, 08:07 AM #5
Thanks for the info Courtneyc & golddust. It`s a constant learning curve.

Jenny
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

29-Oct-2011, 04:22 PM #6
Thanks, Courtneyc, JennyJackson01, Golddust. This is the first time posting and responding so I hope I am doing this right. I am running Windows 7 Pro in XP Mode. The games I am having troiuble with are Reader Rabbit 2nd Grade-Mis-Cheese-ivious (Win XP), Reader Rabbit Personalized Math Ages 6-9 and R/R Thinking Adventure. The first doesn't run. The others give a message: "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Win your'e running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32bit) or x64(64bit) version of the program and then contact the software publisher."
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,619 posts.

29-Oct-2011, 05:05 PM #7
Then most of these games you have listed are 16 bit games and they will not run on 64 bit machine.

There are a LOT of older programs including games that run on XP, a lot of them are 16 bit programs and the suppliers will not admit to it as they have a LARGE supply of them and want to get rid of them.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!