Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Toshiba L645 Windows 7 Can Not Recover

(!)

Member with 56 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Nov-2011, 02:13 AM #1
Solved: Toshiba L645 Windows 7 Can Not Recover
I have a Toshiba L645 that will boot to bios and will 'start windows' but ends in a black screen with a curser.

At this point I am just wanting to perform a system recovery, full system restore to our of the box conditions. I have attempted to perform the actions with F1, F8, F10, and 0 and am still yet to be able to access the Advanced Boot Settings. I attempted to put in another recovery Disk from another Toshiba running Windows 7 but end up in the exact same place. Also attempted to use Recovers Media from Toshiba but still end up in the same place.

Am running Memtest86 at the moment to rule out a memory problem. Thinking about just running DBAN on it and seeing if I can't install a fresh copy of Windows 7 from the Toshiba Windows 7 recovery media that I have but really don't want to attempt that as this point.

Any ideas of something else I could try at this point?
Member with 56 posts.

01-Nov-2011, 03:09 AM #2
Ran Memtest and everything checks out okay after 2 passes. Now it's doing something completely different.

Starts, gets to post, then pops up with.

------------------------------------------
Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 2003)
Copyright (c) 1997-2003 Intel Corporation

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.1.9(12/15/09)

Check cable Connection!
PXE-M0F: exiting Intel PXE Rom.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key
------------------------------------------------------------

Checked bios, hard drive still shows up, and everything seems to be right, restored to defaults to make sure and still get the same thing.
Member with 56 posts.

01-Nov-2011, 03:13 AM #3
Attempted to put in recovery disk from different Toshiba, as well as Recovery media from Toshiba for Windows 7, and in both cases I get this.

"Windows is loading files..."

This loads full.... screen blinks a few times, and loading bar appears, optical drive stops spinning the CD. After a few mins screen goes black, curser appears, and it sits there doing nothing. I am still able to move the curser around the screen, but nothing ever shows up.
LagunaGTO LagunaGTO is offline LagunaGTO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 139 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Nov-2011, 05:13 PM #4
Chances are your HDD is failing. Can you try a different Hard Drive?
Member with 56 posts.

02-Nov-2011, 02:11 AM #5
yeah I came to that conclusion about 5am. Attempted to order a replacement from TigerDirect.com but it would seem they're out of stock due to flood in Tiawan.
LagunaGTO LagunaGTO is offline LagunaGTO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 139 posts.

02-Nov-2011, 09:51 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestdarncomputer View Post
yeah I came to that conclusion about 5am. Attempted to order a replacement from TigerDirect.com but it would seem they're out of stock due to flood in Tiawan.
Yeah, unfortunately it's expecting to be like that until first quarter 2012. You might want to go local or attempt Newegg. HDDs will be short on supply soon. WD is taking a 70% production loss for at minimum 2 months.

Please mark your thread as solved!
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,680 posts.

02-Nov-2011, 10:12 AM #7
If the hard drive is indeed failing if you can remove the harddrive try to salvage whats on there like documents, pix, etc before it goes completely.Im sure local computer repair places should have hard drives in stock. Whenever ive needed one i always buy local and that way i have one immediately with no waiting.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
recovery, restore, toshiba l645, windwos 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!