Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Setup is starting services

(!)

Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Nov-2011, 08:47 AM #1
Setup is starting services
Hi.Ill give you the full story so as to get the best response possible.

A couple of weeks ago my screen would freeze after it was left for around an hour,i would have absoloutly no control of anything i couldnt CTRL+ALT & DEL,the entire screen froze,the only thing i could do was hold the power button down untill it turned off so i could restart.I changed all the power options as well as screen saver options etc but nothing fixed it,i did scans with malware bytez and microsoft security essentials but nothing was found and it stayed the same.Lastnight i whent on my pc and it froze withing 5 mins,i would restart and it did the same thing,so i booted it in safe mode and it was fine,i did msconfig and unchecked everything on startup and all the services minus microsoft ones,i then booted it in normal mode and it worked and there was no crashing,i played it for the rest of the night fine.

Thismorning however i booted it up and its crashed again so i did the packard bell restore in which you boot the pc on a recovery disc 1 (3 discs in total).Its been going fine but now its on "Setup is starting services" and its been around half hour,it hasnt froze as the little white bar under the text is still doing its effects.

Is this length of time normal?

Why does it keep crashing?

P.S i dont think its overheating,the pc isnt even a year old and i dont run anything that takes a high demand of ram gpu or processing?

04-Nov-2011, 10:14 AM #2
Ok so it whent on for over 2 hours,i restarted it and tried to go "start windows normally" to see what happend but it whent str8 to the services message so i held the power button and ive booted it from the recovery disc 1 again -.-...... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

does the same when i try to boot it in safe mode.So now i cant get my pc on full stop
:'(

Last edited by ben1191; 04-Nov-2011 at 11:10 AM..
Member with 31 posts.

Experience: Work in the Field
04-Nov-2011, 02:12 PM #3
There is a known issue after installing some updates that windows takes forever to load. I've seen this alot on Server 2008r2 hardware.

Honestly I would try to just wait for a while (couple of hours). Failing that try and boot into safe mode and see if that works.

Try unplugging it from the network as well when you're starting the service, i've seen errors pertaining to IPv6 causing an issue like this.

04-Nov-2011, 02:34 PM #4
safe mode doesnt work,goes to the same screen.i disabled usb 2.0 in bios as i read that causes problems also.Its been going a hour or 2 now,ill leave it overnight to see what happens.

04-Nov-2011, 05:02 PM #5
Been on for 5 hours now and nothings changed,really need an answer from some1 who can help me please.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

04-Nov-2011, 05:22 PM #6
still under warrantry,think i would return it,did you make a windows repair disc and tried startup repair,how much ram/sticks have you,if two remove one then startup-if no change, swap sticks try again

05-Nov-2011, 04:16 AM #7
refurbished pc from pc world.can i take it back though?will they not say its my fault?been on for 15 hours and its still stuck on same screen lol.ill take the 1GB stick out and ill also take the graphics card out and try 1 last time,also contact packard bell and ask them for advice seeing as its their software that isnt doing the boot correctly....

05-Nov-2011, 03:19 PM #8
So has no1 got an answer?
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

05-Nov-2011, 03:39 PM #9
hiya,did it not make any difference swapping the ram

07-Nov-2011, 03:48 AM #10
No,i swapped the rams around,i took the graphics card out and the wireless card etc.It gets stuck at the same spot every time.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
packard bell, restore, services, time

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!