Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: DVD/CD not seen in Windows Explorer

(!)

Member with 43 posts.

22-Nov-2011, 12:40 AM #1
Question Solved: DVD/CD not seen in Windows Explorer
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3884 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1718 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 119234 MB, Free - 89665 MB; D: Total - 345701 MB, Free - 345342 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., K52F
Antivirus: Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus, Updated and Enabled

Computer experience: Advanced

I have read all of the post on the missing DVD\CD on the web and in the support forums. I have tried the reg fix with no luck but of note, perhaps, there was only one of the filters mentions when I did the fix, manually but I can't remember which one....I think it was the upper filter.

It is seen in Device Manager with no issues, it is seen in Disk Management and at one point, I was able to assign a letter to it under another profile, leading me to believe it might be a profile issue, but when I went to recreate the profile under the second one in which I was able to assign a letter to the DVD drive/CD drive, this no longer works. I can't tell you for sure when this started as I went to reinstall a program, after a crash yesterday and that is when I noted no CD in My Computer. IT is also seen in BIOS. Virus scan shows nothing and temp files have been cleaned. I can't find any information in the event log which has been of any use. I think I might try to recreate the profile as mine did seem rather big as I have only had the laptop for about a couple of months now. I hope some one has some additional ideas cuz I am about to restore the entire PC but sure would like to find out what caused this....Oh and I did try System Restore but I'm not sure how far to go back since I am not sure when this all started. Disk Management acts like it wants to let me assign a drive but it doesn't...no error codes either.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
22-Nov-2011, 12:52 AM #2
Quite likely a problem with the drive itself.

The best way to find out if it is software-related is to see if it works with a different operating system. See if the drive is accessible and works normally under a Linux-based OS by booting from a "live" CD, such as:

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

The CD has a burning program installed, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you have used any "registry cleaners", system "optimizers", or any other tools on the machine that could have caused damage, try restoring the backups of the things it hacked out and get rid of it.
Member with 43 posts.

22-Nov-2011, 11:51 AM #3
I think it will be a little hard to test the CD drive as this is a laptop but if there is a way to do so, let me know and I will certainly try. However, if it was the CD itself, I don't think it would have let me accomplish my post below in regards to recreating another profile. I have not run any reg cleaners on it but I am suspucious it could be a damaged registry and was wondering if there was an acceptable source out there for this though much of what I have read tends to negate the effectiveness of these cleaners. I will definately try burning that program to a CD as I am sure the CD drive is ok and should boot to it, thus giving another test for the hardware part. I did recreate a second profile again last night but I still had to go into the Disk Management to assign a drive letter to the CD which it did let me and was working as of late last night...haven't had a chance to check today but I do fear the same thing will happen later on. I also had a USB in the laptop prior to this post and it was not being seen either but it did let me assign it also in DM at one point so possible mother board issue? May a BIOS update? Open to suggestions but I will try to get that software burned to a CD.

OK, I did just turn on the laptop and it is still working correctly as of this moment. Also, right now, I am running this profile under Std user...

Last edited by bvaldez; 22-Nov-2011 at 11:58 AM..
Member with 43 posts.

22-Nov-2011, 07:12 PM #4
OK, stupidity has evolved it's ugly head once again but since there is a good chance someone else may come across this, I am going to post what the problem was. On this ASUS laptop, there is a program called Copy Protect and something similar to this may well be on other laptops....it just goes to show you should read about something before you go messing with it. I forgot I had been messing around with this the other day, and, I locked my DVD and External Storage, hence preventing it from being seen so nothing could be written to or from these drives. I just got back in under my original profile and whala, I told it to unlock these and now they are showing up again...hence, never stop learning.....
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
22-Nov-2011, 08:23 PM #5
The method for testing the drive is to create the bootable media I linked and boot with it. If the drive works with that operating system, then it is a software problem in Windows.

Thanks for following up.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dvd drive missing, windows 7 64-bit

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!