Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can I recover my computer without the Windows installation disc?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 14 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Dec-2011, 09:52 PM #1
Question Can I recover my computer without the Windows installation disc?
I'm on an HP laptop that originally came with Windows Vista. At some point a while back, I purchased Windows 7 online and upgraded the OS by download--meaning I don't have any physical installation discs.

Now I would like to some how recover this computer to it's factory settings, to wipe all installed programs and files, but I would prefer not to be downgraded back to Vista. Is this possible?

I don't believe I made recovery discs while Vista was installed either. Is it possible to recover the computer at all?

Thank you for any feedback
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,690 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Dec-2011, 12:27 AM #2
If the computer came with windows vista originally when its restored to the factory settings thats what you will get.If you dont have the restore disks for vista for that computer you will have to contact hp and see if they will send you a set.Using a windows 7 disk wont restore it to factory settings because it didnt come with windows 7. Your only option if you dont want windows 7 or vista is to first see if theres xp drivers available for your model of computer and then buy a copy of windows xp either pro or home. But again thats not going to restore factory settings.So yes the computer can be recovered but only back to what it came with once you have the proper vista disks for it.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 59,403 posts.

15-Dec-2011, 10:00 AM #3
What's the product number(P/N) on the sticker so we can determine the exact model number for your HP Pavilion dv5000 series laptop?

If you purchased the downloadable version of Windows 7 from the Microsoft Store, you should've also had a genuine original Windows 7 DVD mailed to you. I did.

--------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

15-Dec-2011, 02:04 PM #4
Hi, thanks a lot for the replies.

The p/n for this model is: NB231UA#ABA

And I'm not looking for XP, I would prefer Windows 7. But I was able to make the recovery disks, so if worse came to worse, I could always return to Vista I guess.
Computer Specs

15-Dec-2011, 02:05 PM #5
And if I ever received a Windows 7 install DVD, I certainly don't remember it.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 59,403 posts.

15-Dec-2011, 03:16 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTailFratley2 View Post
Hi, thanks a lot for the replies.

The p/n for this model is: NB231UA#ABA

And I'm not looking for XP, I would prefer Windows 7. But I was able to make the recovery disks, so if worse came to worse, I could always return to Vista I guess.
According to product number NB231UA#ABA, your laptop is a HP Pavilion dv7-1245dx model.

Here is the HP support site for it.

According to its product specifications section, it came with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1(64-bit) pre-installed.

It supposedly came with these devices:

AMD Turion X2 RM-72 dual core 2.10 GHz processor

4096 MB(4 GB) of RAM

320 GB 5400 rpm hard drive

ATI Radeon HD3200 RS780M graphics

IDT high definition audio

Realtek RTL8168C/8111C/8102E ethernet

Broadcom 4321AG/4322AG 802.11a/b/g wireless

Synaptics touchpad

A recovery disc kit for that model laptop can be purchased here for $27.00 plus shipping.

-------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

15-Dec-2011, 05:06 PM #7
Update:

I have been able to create the original recovery discs (that would restore to factory settings including Vista) and have also located and re-downloaded the Windows 7 upgrade .iso.

Can I simply burn the .iso to a disc, run the recovery, and afterward perform the Windows 7 upgrade using this disc? Or will I not be able to because of some limit on using the upgrade? I have the original product key, but I'm not sure if it's single use and will prevent me from using it a second time on the same computer.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,256 posts.

15-Dec-2011, 08:19 PM #8
Quote:
Can I simply burn the .iso to a disc, run the recovery, and afterward perform the Windows 7 upgrade using this disc?
That's the procedure Microsoft recommends. The product key is good for the life of the computer.
Computer Specs

15-Dec-2011, 09:41 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
That's the procedure Microsoft recommends. The product key is good for the life of the computer.
Thanks so much, I appreciate it. That's what I'll do then.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
installation disc, recovery, recovery disc, windows 7, windows vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!