Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Firefox Not Responding

(!)

Member with 44 posts.

Experience: Beginner
15-Dec-2011, 03:06 PM #1
Solved: Firefox Not Responding
My computer is only a couple weeks old. I use the latest version of Firefox and today it keeps freezing up. It will just say Not Responding. I've rebooted several times and it's still doing it. Not sure what else to do. I'm not very techie, so please keep answers simple.

Thanks so much in advance for any help.
Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Dec-2011, 04:38 PM #2
Have you tried reinstalling Firefox? Also, what version are you running? There is a plugin called 'plugin-container' that sometimes causes crashes like this.
Member with 44 posts.

15-Dec-2011, 05:38 PM #3
I reinstalled Firefox 8 I don't have the plug in you mentioned. I tried running Internet Explorer and had the same trouble with it Not Responding.

15-Dec-2011, 05:53 PM #4
Try going here and making sure all your plugins are up to date
Let me know if that works.
Member with 44 posts.

15-Dec-2011, 10:07 PM #5
All plug ins are up to date. Also, when it's Not Responding, the cursor turns into a spinning circle, after a bit sometimes it comes back up and I can use the internet. Sometimes I just have to close Firefox and reopen.

Thanks so much for your help so far.

16-Dec-2011, 12:39 AM #6
Well, I did a bit of research and found out that it is a common problem with the newest versions of FF that is still unsolved. You could switch over to Google Chrome or revert to an older version of FF that is still supported, but if you insist on fixing it, try to start FF in safe mode and see if it runs alright. If it does, activate each add on until you find the problem.

If it still continues not responding even with all of them disabled, then we will try and find an alternate solution.
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.

Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
16-Dec-2011, 12:49 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by joolbait View Post
I reinstalled Firefox 8 I don't have the plug in you mentioned. I tried running Internet Explorer and had the same trouble with it Not Responding.
If you have the same issue with both browsers, then the root cause isn't browser related. I'd start by assuming a possible malware infection and proceed accordingly. You don't say what sites seem to trigger the hangs, but if you are watching videos, you might need to update your sound and video drivers on the system. That's not a comprehensive list of possible problems, but that's where I'd begin.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

16-Dec-2011, 12:54 AM #8
Chrome is the best for now
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Dec-2011, 03:04 AM #9
I've had the same problem on my three-year old Windows 7 laptop, Firefox is the most unstable program, everything else runs smoothly. Your best bet is to try updating Firefox, updating all (if any) installed add-ons and plugins, or doing a clean reinstall.

None of the above worked for me, and may not for you, but it's still worth a try. If the problems still occur, you could try using an alternate browser like Opera or Chrome. Opera is very customisable, something that Chrome lacks, (Chrome also has a few annoying quirks, and privacy issues). The only problem you'll face is that other browsers don't have the same, large list of add-ons Firefox has.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,995 posts.

16-Dec-2011, 11:17 AM #10
In addition to Snagglegaster's list maybe WINSOCK or stack corruption ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.
Member with 44 posts.

16-Dec-2011, 02:46 PM #11
Thanks to all who responded. I called HP tech support and spent 2 hours on the phone with them. It seems the problem is resolved for now.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,995 posts.

16-Dec-2011, 05:46 PM #12
What was the fix? It will probably help others.

You can mark this solved using the button at the upper left of the page.
Member with 44 posts.

16-Dec-2011, 05:51 PM #13
Sorry, I have no idea what the fix was. They fixed it remotely and I'm not very techie so I couldn't even begin to guess what they did.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!