Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: MyStart by Smilebox.com

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

18-Dec-2011, 07:10 AM #1
Solved: MyStart by Smilebox.com
Resulting log: SysInfo.exe is not commonlly downloaded and could harm your computer.

I kept getting messages on several games in Facebook that the game needed Adobe Flashplayer 10.
On Firefox, I downloaded Firefox set up 8.01(1) exec and when I opened it up, it came up as My Start and Smilebox. Looked for Smilebox to see if I could uninstall it and it didn't show. Went into Google and I read in one of the links about it. It said it was some kind of bug that takes over Firefox browser. Can you please tell me how to delete it as am very worried that I have put a virus into my laptop.

Any help wouild be much appeciated.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
18-Dec-2011, 09:56 AM #2
Can you please run the TSG program so we can get some system information?

18-Dec-2011, 12:06 PM #3
Hi - I'm afraid I am computer illiterate and do not know what or where to find the TSG program that you have requested of me.

Sorry. Tina1985

19-Dec-2011, 06:09 PM #4
On 18 December I informed you that I do not know what or where to find the TSG program that you have requested of me. I was expecting a reply from you telling me how to do this, but nothing so far that I can see.

I look forward to hearing from you further. Thanking you in advance
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,221 posts.

19-Dec-2011, 08:52 PM #5
click this link. After you have downloaded it run the program and copy and past the system info in your next post. SysInfo.exe

20-Dec-2011, 05:12 AM #6
Thank you for your quick response of: click this link. After you have downloaded it run the program and copy and past the system info in your next post. SysInfo.exe
clicked link and it said:
Do you want to run or save SysInfo.exe (497 KB) from static.techguy.org? Run Save Cancel
I clicked Run and it said:
StysInfo.exec is not commonly downloaded and could harm your computer Delete Actions View Downloads
I then clicked on Save and it said:
SysInfo (1) exec is not commonly downloaded and could harm your computer Delete Actions View Downloads

It still says "This program might harm your computer.
Rather than type out all the text perhaps you would care to open SysInfor.exe and read it. The important part is > Don't run this program > Delete this program
Also, nowhere did I see anything that actualy said "Download", other than stated above in your response.
Am sorry to be a pest, but I wasn't prepared to harm my computer any more !!

28-Dec-2011, 08:34 AM #7
I am still awaiting a reply from Lanc. or anyone, as to whether or not I should download SysInfo.exe as, as explained in my last post it says "This program might harm your computer"
I

I look forward to hearing from someone.

Thanks in advance.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 344 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Dec-2011, 10:55 AM #8
Are you ruuning IE9? If so, click view Downloads.
Computer Specs
Member with 23 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Dec-2011, 11:22 AM #9
The warning "This program may harm your computer" is a generic warning Windows adds to any program that is downloaded from the internet. the SysInfo.exe program is perfectly fine. I don't understand why someone did not tell you this at the start. You just need click 'run'. And then post the revealed information in your next post for a person who its better at troubleshooting than me.

Could you also please link the website that said Smilebox is a bug that takes over Firefox?
pcatrocity has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 386 posts.

Experience: Beginner
28-Dec-2011, 03:14 PM #10
Here's the directions to remove; here's the link with excellent pictures to assist
http://www.smilebox.com/partner/incredimail/uninstall/
Firefox

Please do the following:
  1. In Firefox, please click the 'Tools' menu and choose 'Add-ons'
  2. Now click the 'Extensions' tab find 'Smilebox Toolbar' and click 'Remove'
  3. Once you're finished, click 'Restart now' in the 'Add-ons Manager' dialog. Firefox will restart and the Toolbar will be removed.
Information below is what Smilebox says. Even tho it may be safe, I wouldn't have it on my computer either. I even restricted access to facebook my computer.

MyStart by Smilebox
When installing Smilebox, the option is given to use MyStart as the web browser's homepage and default search provider. MyStart works in partnership with Google; for searches done from MyStart, Google shows the search results and pays Smilebox a commission. This revenue helps to support the development of new Smilebox designs and features.
Using MyStart is an easy way for you to help us develop products without paying a dime.
To change your browser's homepage and default search provider to something other than MyStart, please follow the instructions below for your web browser:
pcatrocity has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 386 posts.

Experience: Beginner
28-Dec-2011, 04:15 PM #11
Here's info on same page to change homepage and default Search Provider from My Start
http://www.smilebox.com/partner/incredimail/uninstall/
If you really want to keep your computer safe; you need to start reading the EULA (End User License Agreement) before clicking OK or Yes button saying that you read and agree to their terms. I know it's always small print but here's a trick I learned to read each and every EULA
1. right-click anywhere in the middle of that smallprint and left-click Copy
2. Open Wordpad (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Wordpad)
3. right-click on Wordpad and lef t-click Paste
4. right-click and left-click on Select All
5. adjust font size to your eyes

if the right-click method doesn't highlight everything in the box
1. left click anywhere in the middle of that smallprint
2. Hold the Ctrl button down while you press the A button once (Select All)
3. Hold the Ctrl button down while you press the C button once (copies)
4. Open Wordpad (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Wordpad)
5 Hold the Ctrl button down while you press the V button once (pastes to document)
6. adjust font size to your eyes

I've save the Wordpad copy of EULA for all my current software and hardware.
That one I would have saved as EULA- MyStart Smilebox (The prefix is always EULA)
 Firefox
Changing your homepage from MyStart:
First, open Firefox and search for the page you want to use as a homepage.
When the page opens, click 'Tools' in the menu bar, and select 'Options'
In the dialog that opens, type in the website you'd like to use as your homepage. Or click 'Use current' to set it to your current homepage .Then click 'OK'
You have now changed your homepage.
Changing your default search provider from MyStart:
Open Mozilla Firefox and click on the small arrow in the top right of the browser .Click on your preferred search provider.
You have now changed your default search provider.

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!