Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

LNK is a PAIN......

(!)

blondegrl12 blondegrl12 is offline blondegrl12 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Sort of savy
19-Dec-2011, 05:06 PM #1
LNK is a PAIN......
Hello there!!! I am in sort of a mess, I'll be polite about it. Last night, there was a word document in the folder that had an arrow on it, I believe. Well, I was moving files onto an external hard drive and when I clicked that file, POOF......it went downhill after that. Every icon, program and file are with the Word icon and everything is trying to open there when I click on it. No more exe files, now all LNK!!! Three letters I've come to loath and that's putting it mildly. I research for hour online and read up on it. Found many sites that had a link that is suppose to fix it. Well, it won't let the file download. Also, my OS (C drive is full. That's why I was trying to transfer things. It seems like a simple fix, just change the file or something??? To say I need help is an understatement. HEEEEELLPPPPPP!!

Thanks a MILLION!!

Last edited by blondegrl12; 19-Dec-2011 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: wanted to change what thread I am in but don't see how!
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is online now Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,242 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Dec-2011, 06:24 PM #2
I'll report your thread and ask for it to be moved to the Windows 7 forum, since that's something only moderators are allowed to do.

Is this the file that you've seen the links to?
http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/lnk_fix_w7.zip
It shouldn't be difficult, you have to open the zip file, double click on the reg file inside, and click "Merge" in the confirmation dialogue. If that doesn't work let me know exactly what happens. It's less than a kilobyte so a full drive shouldn't cause a problem.
Computer Specs

19-Dec-2011, 06:34 PM #3
Why thank you for that!!

I think that's the one. I got it from here! http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

I'll try it again.
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,315 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Dec-2011, 06:39 PM #4
I think you'll need to use Unassoc to get rid of that incorrect association.
Computer Specs

19-Dec-2011, 06:39 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondegrl12 View Post
Why thank you for that!!

I think that's the one. I got it from here! http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

I'll try it again.
Don't use the one from dougknox. It's for XP.
Computer Specs

19-Dec-2011, 06:51 PM #6
Ok, then.....I clicked the link, it opened in Downloads. There is where we have an issue. My Downloads, Desktop and Recent Places folders are all Word Icon, .lnk files. So, I cut and pasted it in the Documents folder. I then saw merge. It did the exact same thing as it did in Downloads.

It pops up with a window that says: The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software.

So, I clicked Run then it pops up and asks if I want to run the following program. The program name is Registry Editor and the verified publisher is Microsoft Windows. I know it wasn't that before, I don't know what happened there. I click yes and it says that adding information can unintentionally change or delete values and cause components to stop working correctly. It then says, if I don't trust the source of the info in C:\Users\"my name"\Documents\link_fix_w7.reg, do not add it to the registry. Then, Are you sure you want to continue?

I click yes and it pops up with this:

Cannot import (the C: wording I just typed above): Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system in process.

This is the same thing it kept saying last night. *sigh* I'm at a loss for words.
Computer Specs

19-Dec-2011, 06:58 PM #7
ok, did the Unassoc thing. It said that I don't have enough space and that I need 6GB free. Suggestions??
Computer Specs

19-Dec-2011, 07:01 PM #8
Quote:
Ok, then.....I clicked the link, it opened in Downloads. There is where we have an issue. My Downloads, Desktop and Recent Places folders are all Word Icon, .lnk files. So, I cut and pasted it in the Documents folder. I then saw merge. It did the exact same thing as it did in Downloads.

It pops up with a window that says: The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software.

So, I clicked Run then it pops up and asks if I want to run the following program. The program name is Registry Editor and the verified publisher is Microsoft Windows. I know it wasn't that before, I don't know what happened there. I click yes and it says that adding information can unintentionally change or delete values and cause components to stop working correctly. It then says, if I don't trust the source of the info in C:\Users\"my name"\Documents\link_fix_w7.reg, do not add it to the registry. Then, Are you sure you want to continue?

I click yes and it pops up with this:

Cannot import (the C: wording I just typed above): Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system in process.

This is the same thing it kept saying last night. *sigh* I'm at a loss for words.
Try it in Safe Mode.
Computer Specs

19-Dec-2011, 07:06 PM #9
Trying it now!
Computer Specs

19-Dec-2011, 07:13 PM #10
Quote:
ok, did the Unassoc thing. It said that I don't have enough space and that I need 6GB free. Suggestions??
Never seen that before! You certainly don't need 6 GB for that!

You did run the program, right?
Computer Specs

19-Dec-2011, 07:15 PM #11
so, it says there is an error while downloading. Check internet connections. So, I did and it's not connected, wants me to exit Safe Mode to run the Network Diagnostics.
Computer Specs

19-Dec-2011, 07:20 PM #12
You had to download the fix to your desktop first, before restarting in Safe Mode. Once in Safe Mode, then double-click the fix to merge it to the registry.
Computer Specs

19-Dec-2011, 07:21 PM #13
I just saw something that says to restart in safe mode with networking?
Computer Specs

19-Dec-2011, 07:23 PM #14
oy.....ok, didn't know that. So, I download the Unassoc to the desktop first?
Computer Specs

19-Dec-2011, 07:25 PM #15
ok, sorry, it is on the desktop screen in safe mode, a short cut icon. Still says the same thing. Also something about if you have a firewall enabled please disable it or add an exception for ReimageRepare.exe and try again
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
exe, lnk, word

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!