Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Black Bands printing in PDF Document

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Beginner
24-Jan-2012, 01:18 PM #1
Unhappy Black Bands printing in PDF Document
Doing some research for a co-worker.... He is running Windows 7 64 bit and trying to print a large PDF document. There are Horizontal black bands of differing lengths coming from the right hand side of the page. This is the only document he is having a hard time with and it does not happen on every page, Seems to be Random (except that they print they same way on the same page every time he has tested the print job. The bands only print when the text is aligned on the right side. I am able to print the document from my computer (XP) with no problems. Also, every where there is a band the text disappears from the left hand side of the page. Any ideas. Like I said I was able to print the job but would like to prevent a problem in the future! I would appreciate any help!
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 17 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Jan-2012, 01:22 PM #2
Not enough ink? Printer problem?
Computer Specs

24-Jan-2012, 01:28 PM #3
Def not a printer problem that I can tell. The printer was just serviced and other documents are fine. They are very repeatable black bands that print the same way every time with very sharp edges. They do not extend all the way across the page and have very sharp defined edges (they are not smears).
Computer Specs

24-Jan-2012, 01:29 PM #4
I should also mention that the file looks great on screen and when previewed. The lines only show up in the final project.
Computer Specs

24-Jan-2012, 01:39 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boocacat View Post
Def not a printer problem that I can tell. The printer was just serviced and other documents are fine. They are very repeatable black bands that print the same way every time with very sharp edges. They do not extend all the way across the page and have very sharp defined edges (they are not smears).
Be sure to check when print. Not to stretch the page, check the rulers in the actual document. Or try printing it in OpenOffice
Computer Specs

24-Jan-2012, 01:45 PM #6
The document is not stretched. Why would it print perfectly from my PC and not his with the same settings? Could it be a driver issue, not super experienced so I'm not quite sure how to fix it if that's the case!
Computer Specs

24-Jan-2012, 02:56 PM #7
Quote:
The document is not stretched. Why would it print perfectly from my PC and not his with the same settings? Could it be a driver issue, not super experienced so I'm not quite sure how to fix it if that's the case!
Most likely a driver issue, but I would recommend downloading OpenOffice and see if the problem occurs.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,068 posts.

Experience: Still Learning....
24-Jan-2012, 03:42 PM #8
Have you tried

1. alligning the print cartriges or
2. cleaning them (using the software provided) or
3. replacing the black print cartridge?
Computer Specs

24-Jan-2012, 04:09 PM #9
It is a large Toshiba office machine. It was just serviced yesterday, new toner, recalibrated, parts cleaned. It's so strange. It has to be related to his PC or the formatting of the PDF on his machine. It's the exactly repeated black lines on ONLY that document from his machine. All other documents in the office (and there are tons each day) come out crystal clear. Also he emailed that document to my computer and it came out perfectly clear for me as well. Then he tried to print from his machine and it created the same lines as before.

Meant to say Thanks as well to both of you for your help :-)
Computer Specs

24-Jan-2012, 04:16 PM #10
http://imgur.com/JsC9C

Here is a sample image of what the page looks like. This is page 53 and when ever he tries to print it it comes out with the exact same bands on the right hand side.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,068 posts.

Experience: Still Learning....
27-Jan-2012, 05:45 AM #11
Quote:
It is a large Toshiba office machine. It was just serviced yesterday, new toner, recalibrated, parts cleaned. It's so strange. It has to be related to his PC or the formatting of the PDF on his machine. It's the exactly repeated black lines on ONLY that document from his machine. All other documents in the office (and there are tons each day) come out crystal clear.
Could be. You may try an alternate pdf reader, like Foxit Reader. (I assume your friend is using Adobe Reader.) Ask him to open the pdf using this pdf reader and try printing it.

Besides, if the document prints fine in other printers, I guess he can use another printer in his office just to get this one printed.

In the extreme case, try contacting the manufacturer.

Quote:
Meant to say Thanks as well to both of you for your help :-)
You are welcome! And hope that the problem gets solved soon.
Computer Specs

27-Jan-2012, 08:53 AM #12
Awesome, I forwarded him the link :-) Most day's I'm not busy (front desk) and can help him out, but this gives him an option in case I'm not in the office! Thanks for taking the time to help!
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
27-Jan-2012, 12:39 PM #13
If it prints fine from one computer and not from his check the driver version (PCL, etc.) he is using on his computer for the printer in question.
Computer Specs

27-Jan-2012, 02:31 PM #14
Please excuse my computer ignorance in advance!...How can I check the driver version and how do I know if it is the right one?
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
27-Jan-2012, 02:52 PM #15
If the black bands are displayed in the PDF document on screen as well as printed then it is not a printer issue. Did he create this PDF or was it sent to him? If he did not create the PDF look at the properties and it may give you some insight as to why it is happening. It may have been created by some rinky dink pdf creator that is not fully compatible with Acrota or PDF standards.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
adobe acrobat 9, printing issue, windows 7 64 bit

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!