Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Ram not showing up even in Bios

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Feb-2012, 11:02 PM #1
Ram not showing up even in Bios
I have a Toshiba Satellite, A305 S6905 with a New Install of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Bios was updated to latest 2.20 version. I put two new, matched 2 GB ram modules in it. It does not show but 2 GB installed even in the Bios. I checked both modules by putting each one seperately in the primary ram slot and both were showing up as good. I even put the old 2 GB and 1 GB modules I had before under Vista and it still only shows 2 GB installed. Nothings seems to help. It only shows 2 GB installed and 1.87 useable. .It boots OK and seems to run fairly smoothly but I have not put it to the test under some memory hog programs yet. .... Please Help!
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

06-Feb-2012, 11:09 PM #2
Are the 2 modules identical? (I did the same with my Satellite, which I now regret. It was a waste of money to buy more RAM just to get another 1/2 GB of usable memory. But, I was all excited about the new machine and ordered it, anyway. The 3 GB's it came with are more than adequate, unless you are using x64. And even then, with either x32 or x64, no more than about 2.5 GB's will ever get used. More RAM doesn't improve performance like it did going from 32MB to 64MB. The extra is good for VM's, RAMdisk, disk-caching utilities like FancyCache, and other unusual uses, however.)
Computer Specs

06-Feb-2012, 11:10 PM #3
Ram
Yes, both 2 GB modules are identical and both show up individually as 2 GB.
Computer Specs

06-Feb-2012, 11:11 PM #4
Ram
Sorry ... Yes, it is the 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium Version.
Computer Specs

06-Feb-2012, 11:24 PM #5
Offering a FREE Caricature for help
Offering a FREE Caricature of the person of your Choice for The FIRST Correct Answer!!! This is a sample of my work.

Computer Specs

07-Feb-2012, 03:10 AM #6
Where in BIOS do you see the amount of RAM or the sticks listed?
Computer Specs

07-Feb-2012, 06:11 AM #7
Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil View Post
Where in BIOS do you see the amount of RAM or the sticks listed?
Elvandil ... sorry it was very late ... I had to go to bed. I see it under the "Main" tab. It says: "Total Memory 2048 MB"

Shahfaisal ... I ran the dxdiag (there was a button that said run for 64 bit, I did that one) It listed everything as fine and listed the following memory: Memory: 2048MB RAM, Available OS Memory: 1916MB RAM
Computer Specs

07-Feb-2012, 06:19 AM #8
RAM
Just for additional info: Before I was running Vista, Home Premium. I had 3 GB of RAM in my laptop and It was all shown. The Ram modules were not matched, the one in the primary slot was 2 GB and the one in the secondary slot was 1 GB. They were also not the same brand.

So ... After I did a new install of Windows 7 Home Premium I purchased two new 2GB ram modules and installed them. That's when the problem started. Thus I could conclude that the secondary slot was working ... at least before I did the install of Windows 7.
Computer Specs

07-Feb-2012, 08:40 AM #9
Talking SOLVED!!! Woo Woo!
Thanks everyone ... MY BAD ... user installation problem. I knew to install the modules at an angle and then snap them in, which I did for the primary module, but not the secondary. It slipped in so easily without doing that I just thought it was in.

Boy do I feel dumb ... yeah, I know, I really am! That's OK! All my RAM is showing up! Woo Woo! ... yep ... I am one happy dude now.

Thanks again!
Computer Specs

08-Feb-2012, 10:44 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelministry View Post
Thanks everyone ... MY BAD ... user installation problem. I knew to install the modules at an angle and then snap them in, which I did for the primary module, but not the secondary. It slipped in so easily without doing that I just thought it was in.

Boy do I feel dumb ... yeah, I know, I really am! That's OK! All my RAM is showing up! Woo Woo! ... yep ... I am one happy dude now.

Thanks again!
It happens. My next guess was wrong RAM or something, so you lucked out. I knew that it worked fine in my rig, after all. Thanks for the followup.

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
ram, windows 7 64 bit

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!