Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Major Crash caused by Win 7 Antivirus 2012

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

10-Feb-2012, 01:17 AM #1
Exclamation Major Crash caused by Win 7 Antivirus 2012
Okay, this is a long story and filled with instances where I could have prevented the entire issue. I've learned from my mistakes and will take much better care of my pc, from now on.

Now that I've stated that, here it is:
On January 1, I woke up to this Anti-virus virus. Believing what it had said, that my computer is infected with all of this malware and junk, I went on to proceed to the next step, to clean up my laptop. Seeing that I had to pay, I went on my mobile browser, and through that, discovered that I'm in something deep, being a noob and all. On this one site, they gave the serial number to bypass the anti-virus, which I believe was one of the hugest mistakes I've made. At the time, I knew nothing about doing a system restore and thought that doing so would make me lose all of my files. I completely regret not doing the system restore.

Anyways, after that, I downloaded just about any and every recommended anti-virus/malware software I could, such as AVG, Malwarebytes, the one recommended by Microsoft, Clamwin, R-Kill, and a couple others. I used them all in and out of safe mode, and it still did not get rid of anything. I tried Malwarebytes multiple times, but it never got rid of anything completely. Frustrated, I downloaded PC Tools and Avast, which blocked the couple Trojans I had from executing. With PC Tools, it would usually pop up to remove low risk malware crap, and I always removed it with no problem. Avast would occasionally pop up about 4 times a day stating that "A threat has been detected". The last time my laptop was able to start up, I was just done editing all of my work, and then PC Tools pops up with the notice saying to remove the four trojans that have been infecting my computer. When I clicked to remove the trojans, the alerts from Avast went freaking haywire, and kept saying it's infamous line "A threat has been detected", about 26 times.

After that, I restarted, and my laptop will no longer boot. It only boots into a Startup Repair loop. I can't even boot into safe mode. When in Startup Repair, it states that my problem can't be fixed automatically, and then takes me into Cyberlink Recovery Manager. I tried doing a system restore, but it says there's no restore points, which is a bunch of crap because I had my system set up to periodically set up restore points.

Startup Repair gives me this error list:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 1: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 2: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 3: Unknown
Problem Signature 4: 21200701
Problem Signature 5: AutoFailOver
Problem Signature 6: 5
Problem Signature 7: NoRootCause
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

I also just bought an external hard drive (1.5 TB) and tried backing up my important files through the Recovery Manager, but I get this error Currently not enough space available on system partition for temporary storage during data compression. You must free up space on system partition to continue.

Basically, what I'm asking is how can I possibly back up my very important files when I can't even boot up at all?

I don't have any of the Windows discs, since my laptop came preinstalled with Windows 7 and I have Geek Squad set up my laptop. I would do a live CD/USB drive, but I think it's way out of my technological league to even do so. Am I screwed? Should I just do a clean install and admit defeat?
Also, since I have none of the Windows discs, how can I even reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium? The product key on the sticker on the bottom of my laptop is so worn out, I can only make out a few of the numbers. I know that none of this would be a problem if I could just boot into safe mode.

Also, I only know some of the specs of my laptop
HP G62 584037-001
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I also had approx. 4 gb left on the C drive.

Is there any possibility of me saving my important files?
Member with 1,312 posts.

10-Feb-2012, 01:24 AM #2
As one option:

You can purchase an "external USB enclosure," remove the drive from the computer, place the drive inside of the enclosure, and connect it to a functioning PC via USB to backup your data.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
back up hard drive, crash, startup repair, trojan, win 7 antivirus 2012

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!