Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows 7 Not Genuine?

(!)

Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Beginner
14-Feb-2012, 02:23 AM #1
Windows 7 Not Genuine?
My computer is telling me my copy of Windows 7 isn't genuine, which is wrong because I installed it with a copy of Windows 7 purchased directly from Microsoft. I recently purchased a 500 GB HDD and cloned my 320 GB HDD over to it, then put the 320GB HDD into my mom's boyfriend's computer, because his was no longer functioning. Then I switched the 500GB HDD out of my broken ASUS G50VT into a Compaq on loan to me from my mom's boyfriend. Now I can't turn on my anti-virus software and the computer is telling me my OS isn't genuine. Does anyone know what's wrong and / or how to fix it?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD V120 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 1786 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 459750 MB, Free - 219999 MB;
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1444
Antivirus: Bitdefender Antivirus, Disabled
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
14-Feb-2012, 04:46 AM #2
Windows can only be run from the original computer that it was installed to. It is only licensed for the original machine. If an installation is moved to a different machine, it is a new installation and needs a new license or activation.
Member with 299 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Feb-2012, 04:46 AM #3
If you purchased Asus notebook with OEM licence it belongs to Asus PC, and can't be used on other PC. If you purchased clean ASUS PC and Windows 7 full package product, you should enter licence key one more time and reactivate (internet, if not success by phone). After PC components change (motherboard) it's always a need to reactivate OS.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

14-Feb-2012, 11:09 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixPoe View Post
My computer is telling me my copy of Windows 7 isn't genuine, which is wrong because I installed it with a copy of Windows 7 purchased directly from Microsoft. I recently purchased a 500 GB HDD and cloned my 320 GB HDD over to it, then put the 320GB HDD into my mom's boyfriend's computer, because his was no longer functioning. Then I switched the 500GB HDD out of my broken ASUS G50VT into a Compaq on loan to me from my mom's boyfriend. Now I can't turn on my anti-virus software and the computer is telling me my OS isn't genuine. Does anyone know what's wrong and / or how to fix it?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD V120 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 1786 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 459750 MB, Free - 219999 MB;
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1444
Antivirus: Bitdefender Antivirus, Disabled
That's 2 activations on one key right there. You can't install Windows on one computer and then take the drive out and put it in another computer. You need a second Windows 7 license for that.

I can't tell if you then again swapped hard drives, but it would seem you activated the same key too many times. Get all the installations you've swapped around wiped out, and then you can reinstall Windows 7 on your one and only computer.
Member with 6 posts.

14-Feb-2012, 01:20 PM #5
So, basically I need a new copy of Windows? Great. I can't afford that.
Member with 2,060 posts.

14-Feb-2012, 01:42 PM #6
Well, until you can afford it, why not put a copy of Ubuntu on your computer? It's a free linux operating system. Will require some relearning, but a good alternative. Granted, there are a lot of programs it won't run, but there are many open source alternatives. The operating system comes with the Firefox web browser, email software and OpenOffice (now called LibreOffice)for an office suite that is comparable to MS Office 2003 - and will open all MS Office documents (both old and new file formats). You can also save docs in MS file formats. Check out Ubuntu at http://www.ubuntu.com/ . My desktop is dual booted with Ubuntu.
Member with 6 posts.

14-Feb-2012, 01:53 PM #7
That's actually what I did. Ubuntu is interesting to say the least, but I don't know if I'll be able to get used to it. It's drastically different from what I'm familiar with.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

14-Feb-2012, 01:56 PM #8
You don't need an additional Windows license. You purchased one, but you gave it to at least one other person. You have to have the other people buy their own Windows 7 licenses or have them wipe their systems so they're no longer using your license.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
reactivating my os

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!