Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: volume shrink undo

(!)

Member with 86 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Feb-2012, 05:03 PM #1
Solved: volume shrink undo
I just bought a new gateway with Win7 and a 2 TB harddrive. I wanted to partition the drive. I was following directions on how to shrink the C drive. I right clicked on the C drive in disk management and selected shrink volume. Then I clicked SHRINK without entering anything. I'm not sure if anything changed or not. I would like to get the C drive back like it was with 2 TB.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,463 posts.

20-Feb-2012, 10:23 PM #2
Look in Disk Management to see if anything changed. If there is now unallocated space to the right of the "C" partition you can resize "C" to include that space.
Member with 86 posts.

20-Feb-2012, 11:15 PM #3
Thanks TerryNet,

I now have; Disk 0 {14.00 GB Healthy (Recovery Partition) | SYSTEM RESERVED 100 MB NTFS Healthy System, Active, Primary Partition) | Gateway (C 1848.92 GB NTFS Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)}
Does that seem correct to you?
Computer Specs

21-Feb-2012, 09:52 AM #4
Yes; the Recovery partition is an image of the "factory defaults" version of your system, the 100 MB partition is a special Master Boot Record that allows you to boot to your normal system or to the Recovery partition, and the "C" partition is your Windows system.

As an aside, various issues cause the Recovery partition to become unusable. You want to have another way to "restore" Windows to its original state. If you haven't already done so, unless you have another system backup, make a set of Recovery DVDs. Also good to make a System Repair Disk (Start - All Programs - Maintenance), as that can fix certain start-up problems without the need to start over with "factory defaults."
Member with 86 posts.

22-Feb-2012, 11:01 AM #5
Recovery DVDs and System Repair Disk are complete. Thanks again for your help.
Computer Specs

22-Feb-2012, 03:38 PM #6
You're welcome.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!