Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Assortment of random Windows 7 Problems

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Feb-2012, 09:20 PM #1
Assortment of random Windows 7 Problems
Hello all,

I recently purchased a new CyberPower computer off of NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883229283). The system runs beautifully for the most part, but there are random problems that I'm experiencing that are making me reconsider the purchase. Anyway, here's a list of issues I've had with my computer:

1) The first time I started up the computer, I ran Windows Update a couple times and began installing some frequently used programs that I've never had a problem with (Firefox, Chrome, Spyware Doctor with Antivirus, uTorrent, and a couple games). However, the system began freezing a few minutes after starting up. I could start the computer, get online and surf, but then starting a download, for example, would cause the computer to crash.

2) I system restored, did the whole thing again. Same problem.

3) System restored again, and didn't install a couple of the programs that I thought may have been problematic. Now, the system runs fine, and I have no problems downloading and such. The computer is able to run a new PC game (Kingdoms of Amalur) on max settings and never has a problem running that or other games. Essentially most everything runs smoothly except for the following:

- Clicking "Computer" opens the Explorer window but essentially "loads" forever without actually displaying contents properly. In addition, the left panel that shows Favorites, Libraries, Homegroup, and Computer constantly have a magnifying glass circling around their respective icons. This can be worked around by right clicking my Explorer icon and going directly to a folder such as "Documents." From there, I can go to any other folder without problem, including the standard "Computer" folder that was having issues earlier.

- Recycle Bin is not emptying properly. This wasn't a problem earlier when I deleted random setup files and such, so I'm not sure why it's problematic now. Right clicking the shortcut and clicking Empty leads to an infinite "deleting" screen. Going into the bin and clicking anything will lead to a permanent "loading" issue where it will never execute the command I want it to and just constantly load (similar to the first issue mentioned above).

- I have some .f4v files that I want to associate with VLC media player. When I try to go through Properties, etc. to change the program associated with the file extension, Explorer will hang and need to be restarted. There is no problem browsing through Properties itself, but trying to associate the file extension will cause the problem.

- Microsoft Office icons do not display properly on the task bar. It just has the generic white "program" icon. Doesn't affect functionality, but perhaps a symptom of some underlying Windows 7 problem.

- Occasionally Windows Update will fail to open after clicking it. Not always a problem, and it does open shortly after rebooting the computer.

- The computer almost always fails to shut down. This problem did happen before during some Windows Updates, but now it happens no matter what the situation.

In case you don't want to look at the computer details on the NewEgg link listed above, here are some highlights:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Intel i7-2600k - 3.4 GHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM
1 TB HDD
AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
explorer, freezing, hanging, loading, windows 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!