Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Slow startup and freezing once logged in

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 26 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-Feb-2012, 04:58 PM #1
Slow startup and freezing once logged in
about a week or two ago i posted on the virus and malware removal forums and followed all the steps i was given and afterwards my computer stopped freezing and started up normally again. now it has started again, although no blue screens like before, and im wondering if its something else... I use norton i dont know if that could be it? I was wondering because if its not causing it then ill have removed it for no reason... it seems like it was for some other people though

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3019 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 1285 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 291992 MB, Free - 190325 MB;
Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated and Enabled
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,627 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Feb-2012, 05:33 PM #2
Click Start.

In the search bar type msconfig and hit Enter.

Click Startup(tab).

Take a screenshot(s) showing all items listed and attach the image(s) in your next post.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Computer Specs
Member with 26 posts.

29-Feb-2012, 07:48 PM #3
here they are
Attached Thumbnails
Slow startup and freezing once logged in-startup-programs1.jpg   Slow startup and freezing once logged in-startup-programs2.jpg  
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,627 posts.

29-Feb-2012, 11:14 PM #4
Remove the checkmarks next to the following entries:

- GoogleToolbarNotifier
- iTunes

Click OK and reboot the machine.

The rest of those are really up to your discretion, whether or not you use them at startup. The less checked entries, the less things that boot at startup, means the less things your computer is doing in the background, which means improved speed.

But as far as antivirus programs go, Norton is one that has a history of slowing things down.

I suggest using either Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast! Antivirus.
Computer Specs
Member with 26 posts.

01-Mar-2012, 01:35 AM #5
i unchecked them should i now uninstall norton?
Computer Specs
Member with 9,627 posts.

01-Mar-2012, 11:45 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen11 View Post
i unchecked them should i now uninstall norton?
It's up to you whether or not you uninstall Norton. It's a paid service, so you might want to wait until your subscription runs out. But Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast! Antivirus will definitely be lighter on your system. Having said that, how much lighter and if you will see a significant performance boost can only be found out once you've done it.

But if you want to uninstall it, run the Norton Removal Tool.
Computer Specs
Member with 26 posts.

01-Mar-2012, 05:27 PM #7
I used the norton removal tool and restarted and internet explorer popped up trying to connect a norton website so i went to uninstall a program and norton PC checkup was still installed so i just uninstalled that normally... i also installed Microsoft Security Essentials but it seems the computer is still having freezing issues so i guess it wasnt norton... it could be something with the parts but the freezing did stop for over a week...

Last edited by Stephen11; 01-Mar-2012 at 05:35 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
freeze ups, windows 7 64 bit

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!