Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Microsoft Scam logmein

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Beginner
16-Mar-2012, 09:45 PM #1
Microsoft Scam logmein
I received a similar call yesterday and went along not thinking straight. I was eventually asked to go to www.secure.me not realising it was logmein allowing remote access. I did go as far as keying in the 6 digit pin but as soon as a connection was established I closed the chat box and hung up.

Now my question is whether my information has been compromised since I did not allow them to take control? I have disabled anything doing with lmi.exe on my firewall an disabled remote access.

Please help! Appreciate it..
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

16-Mar-2012, 10:14 PM #2
What makes you think it is a scam, and how did you find out about it? What "call" did you get?

It appears to be a legitimate site and service. Avira has partnered with them.

But that doesn't mean you don't have to be careful, if it's not already too late: CNN Report On Internet Privacy.

Last edited by Elvandil; 16-Mar-2012 at 10:23 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

16-Mar-2012, 10:35 PM #3
Well he said he was calling from Microsoft and sounded very convincing with the company address and details. But then I've done some reading and realised everyone's saying its a scam.
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

16-Mar-2012, 10:36 PM #4
Oh yes and telling me my computer had all these errors and warnings.
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

16-Mar-2012, 10:52 PM #5
Well, he wasn't from Microsoft. Did he tell you how he knew your machine had errors?

Where did that URL come from?

That really doesn't make much sense, even as a scam. Why would someone claim to be from Microsoft if they were sending you to another company? But maybe I misunderstood you.

Was there more than one call involved here and was some of it on the internet?
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

16-Mar-2012, 11:08 PM #6
He said he was from Microsoft technical support and they were getting repeated error messages. So he provided the secure(dot)me link to hook me up with a technician or something. Like I mentioned, I hadnt realised at that point it was for remote access. I know I shouldn't have been so gullible but once I did realise I immediately shut it and hung up. Would you know if this has compromised my information in anyway? My understanding is that it would be if I had allowed them to access any files, etc. which I did not.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

17-Mar-2012, 06:42 AM #7
Uninstall the software, and everything is fine.

It's a well-known scam. Obviously they didn't know anything about your computer. Almost everyone with a Windows computer has errors at one point or another. They just call and guess.
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

17-Mar-2012, 06:55 AM #8
I don't think it installed any software. It was an applet that supposedly clears itself after the session. I've tried looking for and removing any files that I could identify with the lmi letters. I'm just wondering if they might have installed any malware or spyware. Or even if just by accessing the address they gave. Many thanks
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

17-Mar-2012, 06:58 AM #9
It's unlikely something happened that fast.
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

17-Mar-2012, 01:37 PM #10
I hope so. But I've read something else about logmein here http://m.itproportal.com/2011/11/21/...ogmein-rescue/ that the connection stays awake even when it is reboot or shutdown. But then it also says that customers can shut the link with the stop button. Now I'm confused. (Wasn't able to copy and paste the text here)
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
fraud, india, logmein, microsoft, scam

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!