Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit issue

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Mar-2012, 03:33 PM #1
Question Windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit issue
I will try to be brief as possible in this post. Here's the deal, I have a 32 bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium currently installed. It was part of a Family Pack upgrade that I bought (with my brother) to upgrade from my copy of Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit. Everything had been fine, and I had been using the 32 bit version of Win7 with no issues at all.

However, I do a lot of video editing and gaming so I decided to beef up my computer's load times etc by buying a 120 GB SSD and 4 GB more of RAM. I installed these into my computer with no errors. My PC recognized everything, so nothing was DOA. Now that I have 8 GB of RAM and an excellent SSD, I wanted to install the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium that came with this family pack onto the SSD, and remove the 32-bit version (located on an older drive) all together. I pop in the 64-bit Install DVD and then... nothing happened. The DVD Drive recognized that a DVD was inserted, it tried to read the disc, and then just gave up as if there was no media inserted. I found that to be odd, so to double check that the DVD drive was working correctly, I inserted the 32-bit install DVD and a couple other DVDs into the drive to see if it recognized them. Sure enough, the DVD drive was acting properly and brought up the autorun.exe function for all of the DVDs.

So the next step in trouble shooting was to test if I had somehow been given a bad disc for the 64-bit install DVD. Not probable, but plausible. To test this, I used an older laptop that still had 32-bit Vista installed. I insterted the DVD, drive started to read it, then the error (one that I expected to pop up on my desktop) popped up: "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you are running [...]"

Ok, so the install DVD isn't bad because my laptop recognized it. The DVD Drive on my desktop (the computer that I am trying to install 64-bit windows) is in working order, but for some odd reason won't even READ the 64-bit install DVD.

So the next step in this long journey was for me to Google the issue. A friend of mine suggested that I try mounting the image of the 64-bit Home Premium Install DVD onto a USB Drive and set the PC to boot from that. I google'd for a tutorial on how to do this, and this is the one I used:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USB Install Boot Guide
Prerequisites:
These steps have been tested on Windows 7, but should work on Vista and Server 2008 and 2008 R2.
You must be an administrator because you will use the DISKPART utility.

Step 1: Make a bootable USB flash drive using DISKPART.

Insert the USB flash drive that you want to use for the image. Please note that the USB flash drive will require at least 5.5 GB of disc space for the “Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)”. The two Windows Developer Preview downloads that do not include developer tools will fit on a standard 4 GB USB flash drive.

Run CMD.EXE as an administrator, then run DISKPART with the following commands (not case-sensitive):

Command What it does

------- ------------------------------------------------

LIST DISK Shows all mounted disks. Find your USB flash

drive in this list. You will need the disk #

for the next step.

SELECT DISK n Selects the disk that future commands will use.

Replace "n" with the disk # for your USB flash drive.

NOTE: Be careful that you don’t select your

hard disk! The next command will wipe the

selected drive clean.

CLEAN Erases all previous partition & volume information

on the flash drive.

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY Partitions the flash drive as one partition for the

whole drive.

SELECT PARTITION 1 Selects the new partition so future commands

will operate on it.

ACTIVE Marks the new partition as active so the

BIOS/UEFI can boot to it.

FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK Formats the partition with NTFS. Do not format

the USB flash drive with FAT32 because it will

not work (more explanation below).

ASSIGN Assigns a drive letter to the flash drive.

EXIT Exits DISKPART

At this point your USB drive is formatted. DO NOT format the drive with Windows Explorer or format.com; you will not be able to boot from it.

Note: the USB flash drive must be formatted with NTFS because the Windows Developer Preview with Developer Tools images have installation files that are larger than 4GB and the maximum supported file size on FAT32 is 4GB. Also note that Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool doesn’t properly transfer the Windows Developer Preview ISO to a USB flash drive.

Step 2: Open the .ISO file and save the contents to the USB flash drive.

This can be done in multiple ways:

1. Burn the .ISO to a DVD and then copy the contents to the USB Flash drive.

2. Use a program that can extract files from a .ISO (like WinZip 14.5 or later) to your hard disk or the USB flash.

Note:

If you copy the files to a temporary directory on your hard disk, you can use XCOPY or ROBOCOPY, both of which are available in Windows 7.

robocopy <source directory> <usb flash drive root directory> /mir

Example: robocopy d:\Win8Files e:\ /mir

xcopy <source directory>\*.* /E/Q/H <usb flash drive root directory>

Example: xcopy d:\ Win8Files\*.* /E/Q/H e:\

Step 3: Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from USB

Insert the USB and reboot; setup should begin running.

Alternatively, if you have an existing operating system, you can insert the USB, navigate to the \sources directory, and run setup.exe. You may need to do this if your machine can’t boot from USB or the machine hangs while loading setup.
Steven
I followed the above directions to the letter. I set the BIOS to have the boot priority primarily set to read from the "Removable Dev" and secondarily to boot from the U3 MicroUSB that my Mobo was reading that I had installed.

Technically, the USB Drive that I'm using is called a Sandisk U3 Microcruizer (4GB), but I thought the PC should stop reading it as such and just read it as Removable Disk (H. However, when I go to Computer - it show's 3 devices with removable storage. 1.) DVD RW Drive (D 2.) CD Drive (E U3 System 3.) Removable Disk (H

The DVD RW Drive is showing that nothing is in it, which is correct.

The CD Drive U3 System (I don't even have a CD Drive...) says that there is "0 bytes free of 5.45 MB"
- When I open the media on this drive to see what exactly is there, it is just loaded with bloatware that came with the USB Storage Device that I am trying to use as a Installer with the ISO I had for Windows 64-bit Home Premium. Shouldn't the bloatware have been erased upon the formatting that I did in the guide that I followed above?

Then the Removable Disk has the files that I had extracted using WinRAR from the ISO onto the USB Storage Device. It also shows 679 MB free of 3.82 GB.

Regardless, after setting up my Boot Drive Priorities, it asks me to insert the proper drive/media to boot from... signaling that it isn't recognizing my USB Drive. It does the same if I set my DVD Drive as the priority and insert the 64-bit Install DVD (because it gets stuck on trying to read it, then gives up).

Can anyone help me in figuring out how to get a proper install of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit working? I'm at a serious loss on what to do, and I'm honestly frustrated that my retail disc is failing to be read by my DVD Drive.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3581 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580, 1536 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 305242 MB, Free - 188684 MB; F: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 147654 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., SABERTOOTH 55i
Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

Last edited by Aarblon; 30-Mar-2012 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: Added System Information
Member with 7,891 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Mar-2012, 05:31 PM #2
I think its a firmware issue in your optical drive, see if there is a firmware update for your DVD drive, if not try using a USB DVD drive, see if it will boot from that device.
Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

30-Mar-2012, 09:35 PM #3
I updated the firmware for the DVD Drive, but it didn't change anything. The DVD Drive still doesn't read the install disc.
Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

30-Mar-2012, 09:39 PM #4
After looking into this issue a bit further, I think the problem is simply a compatibility issue with my DVD Drive that I cannot fix without purchasing a new one.

I am using a fully updated Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7170A and it apparently didn't play nice with Vista 64-bit either.

So unless I can get this USB ISO mount to work, I'm up a creek.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
30-Mar-2012, 10:18 PM #5
Try making a copy of the installation disk and see if that helps. If you can, it may even be best to create an iso of the disk and then burn the iso to another disk.
DerekC has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 1,704 posts.

31-Mar-2012, 01:23 AM #6
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think it was possible to use a upgrade cd to go from a 32bit OS to a 64bit. I thought that required a clean install (which you wouldn't be able to do with an upgrade disc). It explains the error you got when you inserted the disc in your older laptop.

EDIT - Just found on Microsoft's website.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions
Quote:
Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows?
No. If you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 32-bit version of Windows. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 64-bit version of Windows.

Last edited by DerekC; 31-Mar-2012 at 01:29 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
32-bit to 64-bit, install from usb, install help, windows 7 64 bit

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!