Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Windows 7: Recovery Disc Content when created by Dell Inspiron setup

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 19 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Apr-2012, 06:54 PM #1
Solved: Windows 7: Recovery Disc Content when created by Dell Inspiron setup
Hello!
I have a new Dell Inspiron 620MT with Windows 7 and have just run the Setup procedures. This included the creation of 3 DVD's for Recovery Disks. My hard drive has 33 GB of content as delivered, including Microsoft Office Home and Business and several "freebies" Dell includes. The setup told me my 3 DVD's include 10.88GB, I "think" but am not sure Setup told me it was using compression to load the DVD's.
What is the content of these 3 DVD's, please? I've called Dell multiple times and get conflicting, contradictory and changing answers to my question? I am wondering if it is ONLY Windows 7 or is it some partial or complete set of everything on my hard drive?
Unrelated, Dell support sent me a flash drive of Windows 7 restore software that is "bootable." I looked at it and it contains only 4GB. That is why I am thinking there may be more content on the 3 DVD's 10.88 GB.
I simply want to know what I have as a base in the way of backup BEFORE I migrate everything from my 7 year very old Dell Dimension 3000.
Thank you to whoever can help me move forward.

Askquestions59
Computer Specs
Member with 19 posts.

08-Apr-2012, 07:18 PM #2
Confused: how can the title say "Solved?" No one has even looked at it yet?
Hello!
I am concerned with the word "Solved" added to the problem/question description. No one has even made a reply to my question yet. I did go back to view/reread my question. I am a VERY NOVICE user of TechGuy. I might have done something to cause it to "look" Solved.
If you are one of the Tech Support responders, I would appreciate you still reading and helping me find an answer to my question.

Thank you, Askquestions59
Computer Specs
Member with 19 posts.

08-Apr-2012, 07:20 PM #3
Found my problem - entry being marked "Solved"
I just "discovered" the "Mark Unsolved" button. We are back in business. Thanks!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,249 posts.

08-Apr-2012, 07:42 PM #4
I moved your thread from the Windows 8 to the Windows 7 forum.

The Recovery partition on your hard drive and the set of Recovery DVDs that you just made (congrats to you! many, many people ignore that task until it is too late) are supposed to "Recover the system to factory defaults." That almost definitely includes all the Dell bloatware ("freebies").

The flash drive is probably for installing Windows 7 (w/o the Dell bloatware and possibly w/o some drivers for your hardware). Boot to it; before you actually do anything you should be able to tell if it is "installation" or "recovery" media and then cancel out of it.
Computer Specs
Member with 19 posts.

08-Apr-2012, 08:34 PM #5
Microsoft Office: Home Business?
TerryNet,
Thank you for promptly answering my question late Sunday night. I grasp your response about Win 7 and "bloatware." Do you know or have a good guess whether "Factory Defaults" would include Fee Software like the M/S Office I purchased beyond the "baseline" of what may be considered "Factory Defaults" for every shipped Inspiron?
Thank you,
Askquestions59
Computer Specs

08-Apr-2012, 08:45 PM #6
Quote:
Do you know or have a good guess whether "Factory Defaults" would include Fee Software like the M/S Office I purchased beyond the "baseline" of what may be considered "Factory Defaults" for every shipped Inspiron?
I do not know, and do not care to guess about something that important. For Microsoft Office make sure you know the exact package you purchased and that you know the Product Key. For Office 2010 Microsoft allows you to download from their site and then use the Product Key you already have.
Computer Specs
Member with 19 posts.

09-Apr-2012, 08:02 AM #7
Thank you very much!!!!!
TerryNet,

Thank you very much. I am grateful AND impressed with BOTH your knowledge AND your integrity in not being willing to guess. If the Dell support group had only 1/10 of your courage to say, "I don't know for sure when that's the case" and to go find out RATHER THAN waffling back and forth. However, I am glad their waffling is so evident otherwise I might very likely have believed them and really ended up in the ditch.

Again, thank you,

Askquestions59
Computer Specs

09-Apr-2012, 08:35 AM #8
You're welcome.

Personally, I find Dell's web site to be well above average w.r.t. driver updates and information supplied, but I have been totally disappointed the few times I tried to contact them with questions.

I have PMed somebody who may be able to get some answers for you, so keep watching to see if they reply here.
Dell-LornaM Dell-LornaM is offline Dell-LornaM has a Profile Picture
Dell Representative with 0 posts.

09-Apr-2012, 10:25 AM #9
Hi Terry, thanks for your inquiry,

If a person buys additional software along with a computer and Windows how does that person reinstall or "recover" that additional software when something goes wrong?”

To install the "reinstall" of the software that is installed on the system, go to www.smartsource.dell.com and register. Then download your software. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Dell-LornaM
Computer Specs

09-Apr-2012, 11:57 AM #10
For some reason that url did not work for me, but smartsource.dell.com did. But then I ran into "Only Internet Explorer is supported on this web site." I know it's no big deal, but I really hate it when companies force the use of that browser.

Anyhow, thanks for the post. I'm sure it will helpful to askquestions59.
Computer Specs
Member with 19 posts.

09-Apr-2012, 04:52 PM #11
Thank you BOTH, TerryNet and Dell_LornaM,
TerryNet, thank you so very much for "sticking with me." Your reference to Dell is very helpful. Ultimately, once I am able to bring my NEW PC online to the internet I will register it and confirm exactly which pieces of software are available for my new Service Tag #. I do plan, however, (unless it becomes just too ridiculous and absurd and time-consuming) to pursue the fee tech support I am paying for to learn what is on those 3 Recovery Discs.

Dell_LornaM, thank you, too, for pointing TerryNet and me to the My Dell Downloads site. That is especially for new users like me yet nowhere had it come to my attention through "normal" "new systems" channels of info or support.

Thank you, both.

If I am ever able to wrestle the answer to the Recovery Discs from "Premium Phone Support" (becoming a laugh) I will let you know to add to your vast wealth of information.

Askquestions59
Computer Specs
Member with 19 posts.

28-Apr-2012, 05:42 PM #12
Final Report received from Dell's "Premium Phone Support."
Greetings, TerryNet and Dell_LornaM,
If I recall correctly, I'd contacted Dell support twice to determine the contents of both: 1) the 8GB flash drive they had mailed to me and 2) the contents of the 10.88GB 3 DVD set created during the start up process of my new Inspiron 6200MT. I got different answers from each rep AND each rep changed and even once "flipped" (reversed) their answers after I was put on hold so they could "verify" their answers.
Next Step: I sent an e-mail outlining the FINE PERSONAL SUPPORT AND ATTENTION but the conflicting, inconsistent technical responses. I asked a Supervisor or Manager become involved and get back to me with the solid and correct answers.
They did: he PHONED me and here's what he said:
1. The flash drive with 8GB and the 3 DVD's with 10.88GB have the same contents.
2. The contents consists of my pre-loaded system. It contains an image of Windows 7 and ALL necessary drivers. It also contains (subject to following note) EVERYTHING on my loaded system. That said, to get EVERYTHING I would need to go to a Dell web site and download about 6 - 8 Dell programs that would then complete my full hard drive contents. This manager spoke with confidence and was discussed it with confidence. I decided to be satisfied. I say decided since I realized NOT EVERYTHING would be restored. For example, Skype would not be retrieved. There is no assurance McAfee would be covered, HOWEVER, I know I could always get that resolved. Also, Roxio Creator and some other "freebies" might not be restored. But I decided if I needed some of them I would have to simply wrestle with Dell support to get them eventually after getting restored and up and running. Adobe Photo Shop Elements 9.0 came on a DVD and MS Office I have a key for to download. Overall, I figure I got a good - although I don't think precise answer.

Your response is certainly not obligated. I am beyond my desperation. I think things would work out alright if my PC went belly up before I get my ClickFree drive and software up and running. Even then, there is a scenario where I might still need to return to "bare bones" recovery.

Do either of you have any thoughts? I realize you do NOT "owe" me any more answers.

Computer Specs
Member with 19 posts.

28-Apr-2012, 06:09 PM #13
Forgot to give web link to get Dell Drivers and Programs
TerryNet and Dell_LornaM,

Here's the link I was given to get any/all software missing from my Windows 7 flash drive or my 3 DVD set restore DVD's made during my start up of my new PC. This link must be run from the subject PC itself AND you must either supply the Service Tag number of let the link self detect the number.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/...oductSelection

Thanks, askquestions59
Dell-LornaM Dell-LornaM is offline Dell-LornaM has a Profile Picture
Dell Representative with 0 posts.

30-Apr-2012, 11:30 AM #14
@ askquestions59
Thanks for your inquiry. The Windows USB key will only install windows and drivers; it is not a factory restore. If you need to reinstall software that came installed on the computer it can be re-downloaded by going to www.smartsource.dell.com. You can do a pc restore by booting up and pressing the F8 key, choosing Repair Your Computer, and follow the prompts to restore the system to factory conditions. As far as Skype goes, I don’t think we install it on systems. But you can always go to Skype and download and, if you have a login and an account created with MacAfee, you can go to MacAfee's website to re-download. Hope this helps! Dell-Lorna M
Computer Specs
Member with 19 posts.

30-Apr-2012, 10:21 PM #15
An INCREDIBLE Thank You, Dell_LornaM
Oh, my!! If there were even ONE with your simple, precise, accurate, confident, detailed skills at "Premium Phone Support" everyone's life (and certainly mine) would be SO much easier and more abbreviated. If you only knew what it took to get an approximation of your response, without the precision, you would be dumb-founded.
Thank you so very much, LornaM.

I would like to oblige you one more step. Part of my original inquiry to Premium Phone Support was to ask about the 3 DVD restore set created near the outset of what I'll call "getting started" led by a Dell piece of softwared. Can you please tell me how those 3 DVD's relate to the scenario you just relayed in your recent reply.

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!