Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Windows 7 screensaver won't work

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Apr-2012, 02:52 AM #1
Solved: Windows 7 screensaver won't work
I've had this problem a long time but it wasn't urgent but it is bugging me now. Basically, the screensaver won't work in Windows 7. My laptop is a 32bit system with 2GB of RAM so not old. I upgraded about a year ago from Vista to Windows 7. Symptoms: the screensaver doesn't work - the screen is just blank. When I try to change the screensaver in Control Panel and preview it, it won't preview even after 'Apply'. There are only 4 or so screensaver options such as Bubbles and Mystify but none seem to work. I am aware of a problem with the Bubbles screensaver via the internet but am not sure if this is a problem. I sometimes get an error box up when I awake the laptop (error OXc0000017). When I tried to install a new screensaver, it wouldn't install and I got the same error message/code. I have changed the power settings now so the display never goes off but I don't think this will change things. All the 'fixes' on the web don't seem to apply to me or I can't relate to them. Any help gratefully received.
Member with 65 posts.

12-Apr-2012, 03:35 AM #2
Have you checked device manager to see if your graphics drivrs are installed correctly? Even if they are try to locate the most up to date drivers for your system and see if this makes any diffrence.
Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Apr-2012, 06:40 AM #3
Hi Turnbull, I tried initially to update the driver but it said it was up to date. I then rebooted and installed a new screensaver (Earth 3D) which worked (previously I got the error code trying to install the .exe program). I then selected the default Windows screensaver e.g. Ribbons and it works now. All very odd. I've uninstalled the Earth 3D which was rubbish and then used my Toshiba Alert program to update my driver for graphics (which it did, so don't know why Windows couldn't do it). So I think it is solved now! Thanks for your help.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
windows 7 screensaver

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!